21|| Trips To Australia

The next few weeks went by without much opposition. The St. Mungo's Healing staff worked tirelessly to help those affected by The Attack and by the week before Christmas, there were only five attack victims remaining in the pediatric wing of the hospital.

After Hermione's usual Sunday Brunch with Ginny, though this one was more of a Breakfast due to the fact that Ginny had to help her mother with Christmas preparations, Hermione phoned her own mother.

"Hey, mom." She collapsed into a chair.

"Sweetheart! Darling, Hermione is on the phone!" Her mother called for her father. "Honey, why do you want us to open your Christmas gift now? We can wait a few more days."

Hermione smiled. "I think you should open it before Christmas." She had thought long and hard about what to get her parents for Christmas and found what she thought was the perfect gift.

"Oh, honey! A trip to Australia?"

Though she knew her parents couldn't see her, she nodded eagerly. "I thought you guys might like to visit as yourselves.." She felt a little sheepish considering she was the reason they lost their memories for a while.

"Wait," Her father's voice took a disapproving edge. "these tickets leave before Christmas and don't return till after New Year's. We can't leave you alone for Christmas."

"Don't worry. I'm coming to visit this week, and we can celebrate Christmas then. I also was planning on working Christmas Eve so Healers who have families can spend time with their spouses and children." She worried her lip as her parents silently took in what she said.

"Hermione, honey, how did we ever raise someone as good as you?" Her mom responded quietly. "Thank you sweetheart."

"And I won't be alone for Christmas. Mrs. Weasley has invited me over for dinner, and on New Year's I'll be with Luna." She piped cheerfully. "Promise me you'll have fun in Australia and won't worry about me."

Her father chuckled softly. "Sweetheart, we'll enjoy ourselves, don't worry. When are you coming to visit?"

"Tomorrow afternoon after I go into work. I've asked for a couple days off so I'll be there till Wednesday night."

"I'll make sure your room is ready. We're so excited to see you."

"Me too, mom. Me too."

~

Hermione dropped by Draco's flat next, an occurrence that was quickly falling into her usual Sunday routine. He was already putting his shoes on and grabbing his jacket when she knocked on the door.

"Hey, I'm almost ready. How'd they like the gift?"

She grinned. "They're really excited."

"That's good, when are you going to visit them?"

"Tomorrow."

His head snapped up at that. "Tomorrow?" He had no idea she was leaving so soon.

"Well, yes, after I go into work for a few hours." She frowned. "I'll only be gone till Wednesday."

He nodded. "There better not be too much paperwork while you're gone. I don't want to do anything extra."

Hermione chuckled. "How on earth did you become a Healer?" She nudge him with her shoulder. "You're so lazy."

"I take offense to that." Slipping his hand into hers, he tugged slightly to get her moving. "You will be back for Christmas Eve and Christmas, right?" If she wasn't there, then it'd just be he and Healer Jeffers, which was fine, but the older Healer struggled with staying awake after nine.

"Yes, we have to work that night, of course I'll be there. On Christmas I'll be visiting The Weasley's." She was dreading this visit, it would be the first time the entire Weasley clan was in the same room as she and Ron at the same time. She wanted to spend Christmas with them like she usually did but she was terrified of what might happen.

"Bummer, well if you're not busy New Year's Eve, there's this party I'm going to and um, you could join me. If you're not busy." Usually, Draco believed himself to be much smoother than this but he was struggling to be anything less than awkward.

"Oh," Hermione's shoulders dropped. "I actually do have plans... I promised Luna I'd go to a party with her."

"Luna?" That crazy loon. "That's the same party I'm going to."

"You are?" She beamed up at him. "We could all go together! Oh, we'd have so much fun!" She tugged on his arm and bounced on her toes.

Draco rolled his eyes and silently cursed the witch. "Yes, great. Let's all go together."

She took his hand again and dragged him down the street.

"Hold on, where are we going now?"

"To tell Luna."

"Nope." He leaned back on his heels till she came to a stop. "We're going on a walk and then we're grabbing a cup of tea like we normally do. You can tell her later. Or maybe I will." He muttered something under his breath that Hermione couldn't make out, and pulled her in the opposite direction.

"Draco," She scolded.

He shook his head. "Nope. How long ago did she ask you to this party?"

"Hermione considered. "It was about... two months ago?"

"Two months? She asked you two months ago?" His shoulders tightened in anger. "Less than a month ago she told me that you didn't know about it."

She shrugged. "It's fine, Draco. Calm down. I still have some Christmas shopping left to do. Join me?"

Slowly, he relaxed and pulled their hands into his coat pocket. "Alright, let's go."

~~~

Sorry for the short chapter! I wanted to post something before I go into insane study mode for my upcoming tests. :/