20|| Sarah

Anguish gripped Hermione as she entered Sarah's room. The girl was in her bed with her covers pulled up to her chin. Her eyes were hollow, empty as she stared at the ceiling. Her mother was sitting in the corner with Sarah's younger brother asleep on her lap. A dark bruise had formed on her cheek, small scratches covered the same side of her face, and her bottom lip was split open. She didn't look like she had been attacked, more like thrown against something; though in some ways, she looked worse off than Sarah.

"Sarah," The Director's soothing voice temporarily broke Sarah's dead gaze. "Healers Malfoy and Granger are here to see you." Upon hearing those words, her head snapped to the side and tears of joy flooded her eyes.

"Healer Malfoy, Healer Granger." She started to sit up only for the Director to rush to her side with a disapproving click of his tongue.

"Careful."

Hermione's eyes widened as the sheet fell down to the girl's waist. Sarah's medical gown was too big and hung off her slight frame awkwardly. Her right shoulder had been mutilated and looked like someone had taken a meat cleaver to it. Five long scratches could be seen down her neck disappearing beneath the collar of her gown. Scratches and bite marks marred her arms as though she'd thrown them up to protect her face when the attack began. Other than a small scratch under her right eye, her face remained unscathed.

"Sweetheart," Hermione quickly sat down on the edge of the bed and gently took one of Sarah's semi-bandaged hands.

The girl smiled at Hermione and shifted so Draco could join them on her bed. "I'm so glad you two came. How are the other kids? Are they alright?"

"Most of them will be fine." Hermione told her honestly. Only five of the children brought in had passed away, leaving a good two dozen survivors.

"How's papa? Do you know if they've found him yet."

Draco stiffened at that. "We don't know." He took Sarah's other hand and turned it over, looking at the scratches. Her left arm was better than her right but not by much.

"It's a good thing I'm left handed." She tried to smile. "I tried to stop him." Sarah's voice cracked. "Papa's a good person, he just- he wasn't himself. I thought that, maybe, if I talked to him,  maybe he wouldn't leave the yard." Tears started rolling from her big blue eyes to her chin."He's a good person, Healer Granger, he just made bad choices."

"Honey, that was very brave but also dangerous. He could have killed you." Hermione smoothed Sarah's hair back and stroked her cheek. "How are you doing, sweetheart?"

Sarah's smile was pained. "It hurts, but I'm alive and that's what matters. Joey is safe as well, and that's a good thing. Mama is also alright." She sniffed. "I'm just so worried about Papa. He's always so sick after the full moon."

Hermione gently gripped the child's hand. "Don't worry, the Aurors are out looking for him. We'll find him. You just focus on getting better."

"Will you two come see me tomorrow?"

"Honey, we'll come visit you each and every day till you're all healed. You'll start getting tired of seeing our faces."

"Not possible." Two watery blue eyes met Draco's grey ones. "I'm going to become a werewolf, aren't I?" Her voice was barely audible. "I'm a werewolf now." She pressed her eyes shut. "I don't want people to hate me like they hate Papa."

"It's alright, honey. How could anyone possibly hate you? You're the sweetest person I know." Hermione wanted to gather the girl in her arms and shield her from any pain she was experiencing.

The Director coughed from the corner of the room and gave Hermione a pointed look.

"We should go, there's a lot left to do." Hermione rose from the bed and looked towards Draco. His eyes were hard, containing some emotion Hermione couldn't place. Anger? Furry? Bitterness? She wasn't positive but when he stood and stepped away from the bed, the emotion had vanished. "We'll come visit you again." With a small wave, the two left the room after the Director.

"Why hasn't she been healed?" Draco's voice was tight with anger.

"She's not healing the same way the other victims are. Something's not right. I've spoken to our Werewolf specialist, Healer Burnes, and he believes it might be because Sarah is the attacker's blood relation, a direct descendent. The DNA in her father's saliva mixed with her blood and is keeping the wounds open. He's not positive though. He's coming this afternoon to examine her better." The Director removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes, a motion he did often when he was exhausted. "It doesn't matter what we do, we can't get the wounds to close but we have stopped the bleeding. We're hesitant to put bandages over any of the scratches for fear that she'll suddenly start healing resulting in the wounds closing over the wrappings. We could only wrap her hands to make it easier for her to eat." He sighed deeply. "She didn't run after her father, he dragged her outside. She and her brother were in their room when it happened. She shoved the boy into the closet and closed the door so that when their father came into the room, he'd see only her. Sarah saved her brother's life."

"What happened to their mother?"

"She tried to restrain him when he started to change. He flung her against the wall which knocked her out cold. She keeps blaming herself for all this." He let out a ragged sigh. "There's still so much to do. The Main Wing isn't fairing as well as we are so I may have to ask you two to help them out later." The Director's kind eyes rested on Hermione as she stifled a yawn. "You two are probably tired. Go home first, get some rest, and come back when you can keep your eyes open."

Hermione took Draco's tense arm and pulled him back into the break room. "Draco," She pushed him onto the couch and sat down beside him. "Sarah will be alright."

His eyes were hard as stone when he looked at her. "What was he thinking? He wasn't, that's what. He's been a werewolf for years. This wasn't his first time around. He knew what would happen if he didn't take his potions." Draco's voice was unsettlingly calm. "I'm going to kill him. He could have killed his entire family. He killed so many  children and we don't even know how many adults survived that attack."

She lifted her hand and gently cupped his jaw. "Draco, you can't kill anyone." Her thumb stroked his cheek. "The Aurors will find Sarah's dad and then they'll deal with him. Don't do anything stupid, please."

He relaxed slightly against her hand. "You should go get some sleep."

She shook her head. "It feels wrong, leaving right now when they still need so much help."

Draco wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer to him. "I agree, let's just take a quick nap here."

With her head on his chest and her arms wrapped around his middle, she curled into his side and swiftly drifted to sleep. A smile tugged at his mouth as he shifted on the couch and closed his eyes. A quick nap, then they'd get back to work. Neither noticed the Director standing by the doorway watching them with his arms folded and a deep frown on his face.