18|| Mistakes and Regrets

It took about five minutes for Hermione to unlock her door because her hands were partially frozen. At one point, Draco calmly took the keys from her and turned the lock "We may need to soak your fingers in your tea." He pulled off his gloves and wrapped her fingers in his hands. "Actually," Placing a warm palm against her cheek, he smirked. "we may need to soak you in hot tea. Why didn't you say you were so cold?"

She shrugged, thankful that her cheeks were already bright red from the winter air. She took off her shoes and removed her beanie. "Make yourself comfortable." She called, putting the kettle on the stove. Her cabinets were a little tall for her, making it so she always had to climb the counters to get plates and cups down. Prepping herself, she was just about to jump when she felt tendrils of warmth slide up her back. His chest pressed firmly against her as he easily lifted a couple of cups from the shelf.

"Show off." She muttered, turning away from the counter. He was closer than she expected, too close. He placed the cups on the counter behind her, and lifted his hand to her cheek, gently brushing a stray piece of hair. Her heart began to race. This is what the shift meant. His fingers trailed down her jaw until they rested on her neck. Casual affection was normal between them but this was different. This made her heart race.

The logical portion of her mind screamed at her to push him away, but she didn't, she couldn't move. She didn't want to move. Sensing her discomfort, he started to retreat only for her hand to dart out, without her consent, and catch the hem of his shirt. He froze, watching her as she pulled her hand down slightly, causing his nose to brush hers.

"You tease." She whispered, her throat thick.

His eyes crinkled in response. Bingo. He leaned down and pressed his lips softly against her cheek. She wasn't sure who it was, probably her, but one of then moved their head slightly causing their lips to brush together. She didn't respond for a moment, her mind trying to reject what her body wanted, but then he tilted his chin and deepened the kiss. She wasn't prepared for the wave that crashed over her and swept her up. Kissing him was exhilarating. Though breathless, she didn't feel the need to breathe, instead she was content to drown in his scent. She released his shirt and wrapped her arm underneath his, gripping his shoulder. He pulled her closer to him and threaded his fingers into her hair. The beanie on his head fell to the ground as she knotted her fingers through his blond locks. She couldn't get close enough to him.

Sighing against his lips, she shifted her weight against the counter, and brought her hand from his hair to his jaw. His hand started to slide down the back of her neck when the sharp whistling of the tea kettle swiftly broke them apart.

Neither spoke as they waited for their breathing to level out. The color in Draco's cheeks was high from their encounter, making him look heavenly, more beautiful than he already was. His eyes bore into hers before they darted back to her lips. No. She tried to move only to find that she had no strength in her legs. He too had difficulty moving as if their kiss had taken everything out of him. This was a mistake.

"I'm so sorry." Hermione slipped from his grasp and stumbled over to the stove. "I- I... If you'll just hand me the cups, then I'll..." An almost painful shock ran through her as his fingers brushed her. She gasped and jerked her hand back. The cup slipped from her grasp and she watched as the cups fell in almost slow motion. Shards of china shot in ever direction as the cups came in contact with the wooden floor. Draco immediately pulled out his wand.

"Leave."

He stopped and looked at her.

"Please, just leave."

"Hermione, I'm sorry I thought you had a grip on them. Just let me fix it."

"No. Just leave. Leave the cups, leave my flat. Just leave." She braced her hands on the counter and turned away from him. "Please." He was gone when she turned around. What was she thinking? She couldn't do this. Not with him. What if things didn't work out? What if this ruined their friendship? "Pull yourself together."

~

"What is wrong with me?" Draco collapsed on his couch and put his head in his hands.

"Hey mate, rough day?" Blaise was lounging on a chair in their kitchen.

"You can say that. Wait. I forgot to ask you. When did you start going out with Lovegood?"

The Italian smiled at that. "Ah, it's been about two months.."

Draco threw his hands in the air. "Two months!?!? I only found out a week ago. Guess that explains why she was in our flat a few weeks back and a few days ago. What exactly does "work" mean? That's all she ever says when I ask why she's here."

"Sorry, mate. We were actually working though, when we heard you get up...." Trying to shift the topic from his love life, "What happened tonight?" Blaise leaned over the sofa to get a better look at him.

He grew silent, not wanting to talk about it, not wanting to admit what he had done. What had happened.

Blaise seemed to understand and dropped the subject. "So Luna's gonna be out of town for a few days. Wanna invite Pansy over and you can take us to dinner, as repayment for the time you cancelled half way through the evening?"

"I kissed Hermione." Draco blurted out. He rubbed his forehead. "I kissed her, and then she told me to leave. I've ruined our relationship cause I couldn't bloody keep it together. I was stupid, I got caught up in the moment. I just..." He looked up at Blaise. "I think I've lost her."

Blaise snapped his jaw shut and scratched the back of his neck. "Man... I don't know what to tell you..." He'd never seen Draco like this. Normally, he was so calm and cool, collected, but he was a mess. His eyes filled with a deep sorrow that Blaise had never imagined possible.

"I took advantage of her. She was upset and I took advantage of that. What's wrong with me?" He chuckled bitterly. "I deserve this. The one relationship in my life that is functional and strong,"

"Thanks."

"and I ruin it."

Blaise rolled his eyes. "Stop being a drama queen, man. Yeah, you've probably ruined your relationship with her, but you don't deserve it. You deserve happiness just as much as the next person. She'll forgive you. She's forgiven that Weasley over and over again so I'm sure she'll forgive you."

"I shouldn't have kissed her but, Blaise, she kissed me back. It was amazing." A glimpse of euphoria crossed his features before it was replaced by pain. "And then she instantly regretted it. I need to apologize." Draco stood up and pulled out a piece of parchment when a bright light entered the room.

"You're needed immediately at work. There's been an emergency. You'll be briefed when you arrive." The Director's Hawk Patronus then darted out of the flat.

Draco didn't hesitate as he darted through the door and apparated to St. Mungo's.