Chapter 3

A/N: Thank you for all of you who have taken time off of your free time to read my story! Just a statement: I did write the note above, which will be in the story. Yes, this is my normal writing. I'm sorry if you weren't wondering, however. I just get these questions all the time..... Enjoy the story!

~

'My life, undoubtedly, has been a series of mistakes,' Y/N wrote. 'The first of the mistakes, though not mine, is probably the worst and most colossal one of all. This "First Mistake" was my mother choosing to be with my father. At first, this wasn't a mistake at all; it was just a common impulse. My mother chose to be with him because he could help her. He could buy her a new house and purchase all of her necessities that weren't available to her, a woman who had barely enough money to buy herself everyday necessities. My father offered her an amazing deal: if she were to work hard and steady, and if she were to earn what she got for money, then he would pay for everything she needed. These things included a house, which he would pay the mortgage for, furnishings for the house, daily food and water, and proper clothes and accessories. Because of this offer, my mother immediately thought that this man was an honest, amazing man. But, as time wore on, she began to see through my father's dirty lies and his false tales. The first hint she got was when he refused her idea for marriage. This, she thought, was normal, so she went along with it and said,"Alright. Even if you don't marry me, I will stay with you."

Everything was great, perfect, until my mother's father died. She was pregnant at this time, with me, her partner's child. My father started yelling at my mother, and once I was born, he started hitting her and screaming at her, or so she said, but I find this as true, for things like this occurred all through my life.

When I was reaching the age of about seven or eight, that's when it really got bad. I would stay awake until twilight came, watching my father yell at my mother and beat her, while my mother was defending herself and I was pleading him to stop. One day, when I was nine or ten, this all stopped. My mother had gotten ahold of her biggest kitchen knife while she was being attacked, and she wounded, if not killed my father. We took all of our things and plenty of money out of the huge mansion we were living in and ran off, took the horse and carriage and escaped. We were finally free from my father's wrath.

The Second Mistake was ever choosing to look for a gift for myself at the market. I was thirteen when this day happened. One second, I was there, with my mother and step-father, and the next, I seemed to be in a different world, looking at bracelets and necklaces galore, and when I entered Earth again, my mother and step-father were gone, nowhere to be seen. I never saw them again after that, and my life has been miserable since-until I met Erik.' When Y/N finally reached this part, she stopped to recalled the fond memories she had of this moment, of the moment when she and him first encountered each other and spoke to each other. She smiled and continued writing.

'When I was thirteen, I was desperate to find a paying job. I was living on the streets with only an occasional coin tossed in my metal bucket and small bite of bread every other day. I did have small access to water, for which I was very grateful, but it was not enough for me to live a healthy life. I knew I had the skills every woman should have, so I started looking everywhere in Paris for a job. One day, when I was fourteen, I was walking the streets of Paris holding a sign that stated that I was in need of a job, as usual, when I walked in front of the Opera Populaire. This was the most amazing, lifesaving day in my entire life. There, I saw a sign that read "In need of an employee who has cleaning capabilities. Rentable rooms in boarding houses given. Reasonable pay offered." When I saw this, my heart leaped for joy. Not only could I apply for a paying job, but I would get to work in an opera house, amongst singers and the most beautiful songs that have ever existed!