Chapter 14

A few days later, everything remained the same as it usually was before Christine. Y/N read while listening to Erik playing harsh but beautiful melodies on his organ, which sounded fairly new to Y/N. He did pause to fix his work, as usual, because, as he always said, 'a piece of music is not complete until it is given all of your attention, effort, and willing to perfect it.' Y/N always thought fondly of Erik's views. They were always valued and highly intellectual and they made Y/N think. They made anyone think, even a person who doesn't need to think, someone who is too smart for everyone. His perspective of things as well as his music flowed perfectly and was intriguing and unique.

His music that day, however, was very harsh, some of the harshest pieces she has ever heard from him, and he's the Phantom of the Opera. They made small goosebumps rise everywhere on her body where they could and made the hair on the back of her neck stand up. The pieces were amazing and brilliant, genius, even. Perhaps that's what was scaring Y/N so much. Maybe she hadn't ever heard such genius from him. She didn't know.

After a few pieces were finished and after she thought he was done with playing for the day, a soft tune started drifting through the cold, crisp yet muggy air of the lair. It was as if he were reaching into Y/N's heart specifically. The song made her look up from her book and look at the man in front of her.

He was smiling and making faces of true admiration while he played the song, faces which made Y/N smile. His eyes fluttered shut at one point, as if he were in ecstasy. This tune out of all of them flowed the best. Every note connected to the next, creating a legato that was hard to believe. The song lifted Y/N's heart and seemed as if it was floating, as if she was floating. Somehow, deep inside her, she felt like this song described her and this made a suppressed grin spread across her face. She thought that it surely wasn't about her, but she still smiled, her eyes sparkling, watching Erik's every move, every stroke of his fingers against the smooth white keys of his organ.

By the time his playing stopped, it was about three o'clock in the afternoon, according to Y/N's clock, so she decided to get ingredients for the night's dinner.

She had soon finished shopping and was back in the lair in no time, just as she had promised Erik. She smiled at him when she passed him to prepare dinner and he smiled back, his now blue eyes radiating with glee. His eyes made her smile even more, a smile that was suppressed and only showed when she was alone in the small, rock kitchen. She put a pot of water on the stove to boil, which took an extended period of time. When the water was hot enough, she put the prepared ingredients into the soup and added more flavour to it so it would actually taste good. Once the dinner was ready, Y/N set the dining room table with spoons and two steaming hot bowls of soup.

"Dinner!" Y/N yelled over the organ playing, which was as loud as usual. She heard the shuffling sound of papers and the faint sound of footsteps, which echoed through the little lair. The footsteps soon grew nearer and nearer.

Erik came in and sat down at his usual spot at the table, the seat to the right of the head of the table, and Y/N plopped down into her seat across from him. Erik started eating quietly, many thoughts wandering in his mind. It was only when Y/N asked what he was thinking of did he actually start talking with her.

"Nothing," he said nervously. "I was thinking of  nothing." 'I was thinking about how your laugh is the most amazing sound in the world and how you light up every room you walk into. I was thinking of how much I love you,' he thought to himself.

"Alright," Y/N told him. "What did you do during the day? What adjustments did you make to your music?"

After this question, he started talking nonstop. He talked about how one note didn't quite fit with the piece and how he had to rewrite the last four lines of it because he had found so many faults. Y/N had suggested that they were just minor faults. That was a mistake. He then started going on and on about how certain notes just have to fit exactly correctly. Y/N said to him that when she heard that piece, she thought it was perfect, but he disagreed. He said it was far, far from perfect.

After dinner, he played the newly finished version of his piece. Y/N nodded in approval and told him that it was indeed better than the last time she had heard it, if that was even possible. At that point, Erik was getting in Y/N's face about how he had told her so, but in a cute way. He was always adorable when it was just the two of them. He always let his feelings loose. Sometimes it was bad but it was mostly just adorable and entertaining to watch.

The two of them realised they had talked the night away when Erik yawned, tears bearing in his eyes.

"Pardon me!" he said.

Y/N laughed. "It's no problem. I think we could both do well with a good night's sleep."

Erik nodded groggily, his eyes barely focusing on Y/N. "Goodnight," he said.

"Goodnight," Y/N replied in a sweet voice that made Erik's heart throb and somehow, he didn't know how, made him yearn for sleep even more.

They both smiled at each other before retiring to their rooms to go get changed. Y/N got dressed into her sleeping gown quickly and got into bed, thinking over the events of the day and how wonderfully blissful they were. She went to sleep with the memories of the wonderful day in her mind. What she did not notice earlier in the day, however was a pair of harshly piercing angry but interested ice blue eyes staring at her as she walked into the opera house.

~

A/N: It's been so long (sorry about that, by the way. Go to my recent author's note before this chapter to see why I was so delayed in updating this)! I've really missed you all and also writing this! I have also missed your comments and I love the new ones. Thank you for reading this story!! Thank out for putting up with this chapter. Until next time.