Chapter 7

Erik's POV
I woke up to the sound of emptiness. Though it was not unusual, there would still be the quiet sound of footsteps and the pages of a book rustling. Now, the lair sounded as empty as ever. Was Y/N simply sleeping, or did she run away?

I bolted out of bed and started running across the marble floor to Y/N's room, where a curtain was still draped to cover all of the furniture and belongings Y/N had. I yanked them open forcefully, only to be greeted once again by emptiness. She was not here! Where could she be? Did she escape from me, like Christine? Dread filled my body and a pain started to fill my chest. It felt as if someone had cut a piece of my heart out. What was this feeling? I hadn't felt it ever since... Christine. It surely couldn't be... love! Or could it?

I growled in frustration and ran to my room and sit on my bed. This couldn't have been happening! I loved Christine, not Y/N! She was my Angel of Music, not Y/N. But, after all, Christine had left me heartbroken and depressed without even understanding or trying to understand my pain and my past. She didn't understand.... but Y/N did.

Suddenly, I felt a swelling in my heart. Y/N was perfect. She was beautiful, she had the most amazing voice, which resembled one of an angel, and she understood and took care of me. Countless thoughts came into mind of why she was absolutely and utterly perfect. She was the most amazing person on Earth, and I didn't deserve her, just like I didn't deserve Christine.

I let out a muffled sound of anger at the thought of that name. Y/N had been right about her all along. Christine was foul in almost every way. Besides her beautiful voice, she had nothing. She had a small mind which didn't even at least try to understand me and why I wore the mask, I gave her the gift of her voice, I gave her my life, and she left me.

"I GAVE HER EVERYTHING AND SHE LEFT!" I yelled. My voice echoed through the dark lair.

Tears filled my eyes, but this time, they were not tears of sorrow, but were instead tears of hate and anger. Christine didn't understand! The reason I killed Joseph Buquet was because he was talking about me and mocking me. He was making fun of how I looked, and was inappropriately having fun with the ballet dancers. He had no reason to live. He just mocked everyone and hurt other people in the process. As for Piangi, he was in the way of my plan to retrieve my love, my only love (or so I thought), and my life (Christine) back.

I let the tears spill, showing my hatred for Christine. Y/N was right about her. She really was a monster, not a princess, nor a queen, and most certainly not my Angel of Music. Y/N was my new Angel. She was the light of my life, she was my other half. She made me happy just by her presence and her smile made my day light up. Her voice filled my heart with warmth, and her magnificence filled it even more. She made me complete.

That's when I realised; I loved her, and if she left, my life was over.

I felt nervousness and fear in the pit of my stomach. What if she had indeed left? What would I do without her? I would be nothing without her. I would be lost without her.

I shook my head. No longer could I be stupid enough to think I loved Christine. I have always loved Y/N, and when I met her and got to know her, deep down, I knew it. I was just too enveloped in the idea that Christine was my first love, my inspiration, my muse. I realised that my thoughts then were all false. My music was better when Y/N was with me. She was my muse and inspiration, my Angel.

I smiled, giddy, and walked to my closet, choosing my typical clothes: a white dress shirt with ruffles, a black cravat (I don't know what type of tie it is) tie, black trousers, a brown vest decorated with flowers, a black suit jacket, and shiny, black dress shoes. I picked up my black wig from my table and put it on, smoothing it back so it was perfectly styled back. I grabbed my white mask and placed it on the right side of my face so it fit perfectly with my features and strode out of my room, pacing back and forth. Where was that girl? My heart started beating rapidly. She left. She couldn't  have be gone this long and still be at the market.