Chapter 21

*about 10 months or a year later*

The boat came to a halt and Y/N stepped out of it and onto the rocky surface of the lair, carrying a basket full of food and other goods. She set the basket down and sighed, taking off her extravagant hat and walking to her and Erik's shared room where she sat down on the edge of the bed and took her shoes off. She walked over to the closet and put them with her clothes and shoes on her side. She walked to her little mirror desk on her side of the room and started taking the pins out of her hair when she saw a pale white envelope with a red wax seal in the shape of a skull keeping it closed. A small smile pulled at the corner of Y/N's lips as she picked up the letter, carefully separated the skull from the rest of the envelope and took out the letter, reading it silently to herself. It read:

'My love,
I'm sorry I couldn't be with you when you got back from the market. I have some business to attend to. To make it up to you, I would like to meet you on the roof of the opera house at precisely 10:00. I have a surprise planned. I love you. I will see you at 10:00.

With great love,
Your Opera Ghost

P.S., wear something nice. There is a dress hung up on your side of the closet. You might have to search for it, but it's there. I just wanted to keep it hidden and I forgot to put it out on the bed. I'm sure it will look beautiful on you.'

Y/N chuckled lightly and put down the letter, picking up the red carnation that was left for her. 'So, he's trying something new I see,' Y/N thought, smiling and eventually putting it down.

She strode over to the closet and opened it again, rifling through all of her dresses and eventually finding the one he mentioned in his letter.

The dress was beautiful. It was white with black and red trim and flowed right from her hips to the ground. Erik was right. She did look absolutely beautiful. He had chosen well.

Y/N was ready by 9:45, and by 10:00, she was standing on the roof of the opera house waiting for Erik to arrive.

He was punctual as usual. He was already there when Y/N opened the door leading to the roof and apparently had been waiting for her for about ten or fifteen minutes. He came out from behind a gargoyle statue with a small, seemingly nervous smile on his face.

"Y/N," he breathed. "You're here."

She smiled and put a reassuring hand on his forearm. "Of course I am. I'm dying to see this surprise of yours," she said.

This seemed to make Erik even more nervous as he took a visibly deep breath and fidgeted with something in his pocket. Nonetheless, he gave her a smile and held out a hand for her to take, which she took gladly. He placed a hand on her waist and gave her hand a squeeze.

"You look beautiful, Y/N," he said, his eyes roaming her face.

Y/N grinned and touched her dress lightly with her free hand, which was clothed with a short white glove (so was the other, obviously). "Thank you."

Erik smiled at her. "You're welcome, my love," he said before he straightened his back, getting into his perfect posture. "Shall we dance?"

Y/N laughed. "But there's no music, Erik."

"Then should we sing?"

Y/N nodded in agreement. "Fine. But what shall we sing? And why shall we sing?"

"We'll sing because you haven't sung in ages and you need practice. We'll sing Past the Point of No Return."

Y/N raised an eyebrow at him.

"What? Can't I sing a song about love with the only person in the world that I adore?" he asked.

"That song is about passion, Erik Destler."

Erik sighed. "I know, but...I love you, so it's about love now. There. We changed the meaning."

Y/N let out an airy giggle. "Oh, really? Because I think that was your decision."

"You're impossible."

"I know," Y/N grinned. "Let's sing."

Erik laughed and then, after a few seconds, began singing the first few lyrics before letting Y/N have her solo. They sang and they sang to their heart's content and they wrapped their arms around each other in a few small moments of passion and love. At the end, Erik pulled her close to him and snaked his arms tightly around his waist and Y/N reached back to run her hand down Erik's neck and part of his chest. Her hands slowly returned to lay on his and he broke into a different melody.

Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime.

Lead me, save me from my solitude

Say you'll want me with you, here beside you

He went down on one knee, pulled out a ring from his pocket, and raised the corners of his lips a little in a smile as his mouth formed around the rest of the words of the song.

Anywhere you go, let me go, too

Y/N, that's all I ask of you.

"Will you marry me?" Erik asked.

Y/N grinned and nodded quickly, losing the ability to speak. She let put a very silent "Yes" and Erik took her left hand in his and placed the ring on her ring finger. Y/N laughed happily and so did Erik as he rose to a standing position and enveloped her in a tight embrace, holding her closely and pressing a kiss to her shoulder.

"I love you," he said in almost a whisper.

"I love you, too," Y/N said, embracing Erik so tightly that she almost squeezed all of the air out of Erik's lungs.

Erik chuckled. "It would be nice to breathe, though," he said.

"I..I'm sorry." Y/N let go of Erik quickly.

Erik pressed a kiss to Y/N's cheek. "Don't apologise."

"Okay."

Erik took her hand in his and led her back into the opera house, looking at her as often as he could. He could hardly wait for the wedding.

~

A/N: So this is one of the last chapters *cries*. I hope you liked it. (There's a picture of the dress and the ring at the top, by the way). It's been so much fun sharing this story with you. I love you guys and thanks for reading my story. Until next time.