Prologue

July 7 2007

It was a hot summers day when it all went wrong. The sun was out, the birds were singing and children were playing in the playground. It was one of those days when you think nothing but sweat could ruin your good mood. It was these thoughts that made what happened so shocking and heartbreaking.

"Mummy?" said a girl of about 11 to her tall, blonde mother. "Can we get ice cream?"

"Of course we can, Vi." the mother answered with a smile, "Which flavour do you want?"

"Cookie dough!" the girl - Violet - called loudly making the blonde chuckle.

"Why am I not surprised?" she laughed.

The mother (who's name was Maia) and daughter turned to exit the busy park they were in, hand in hand. Maia was a very pretty woman with long, sun coloured hair that lay pin-straight down her back. Her eyes were an icy blue which made them stand out against her pail skin. Violet, however, had warm, chocolate coloured eyes. The only features the two shared was their pale skin as well as their golden locks which got darker the closer to the scalp you looked.

As Maia and Violet walked along the almost deserted footpath (everyone was apparently in the park, enjoying the sun), the sound of a phone ringing broke the peacefulness.

"Sorry, Vi, I have to take this." said Maia, taking her phone out and swiping it answer the call. "Hey, Anne. What's up?" the person on the other end replied and Maia frowned. "It's fine, I understand....I'll see you when I get there." she ended the call with a sigh.

"What's wrong, Mum?" Vi asked with a small frown.

"I'm sorry sweet-pea, I have to go into work today."

"But it's your day off! You said we'll get cookie dough ice cream!" the eleven year old began to well up with tears so her mother pulled her into a tight embrace. Vi knew she was acting rather childishly but her mother had only just come back from a two week trip and had promised to spend time with her.

"I know, I'm sorry but they need me." she said with a sad smile on her face. "I'll be back before you know it. Before you can say cookie dough!" Vi laughed and Maia kissed the end of her daughter's nose. "I love you, Vi."

"I love you too, Mum."

Word Count: 404Published: 24 June 2018

Word Count: 404
Published: 24 June 2018