Chapter I • The Stark Expo

I was bored out of my mind

I was bored out of my mind. The babysitter had made me sit through two long hours of a documentary on birds, and she hadn't even let me get a snack from the kitchen to entertain myself with. Worst sitter ever! I didn't understand why I even needed a babysitter; I was old enough to stay home alone, wasn't I? Pepper obviously didn't think so. I had spent hours trying to persuade her to let me come with them but all in vain for it seemed like my arguments had gone in one ear and then out the other; she wasn't having any of it.

"You're not going, Violet, and that's final." She had said in a flat tone I often heard her use when speaking to my father after he does something stupid.

"But that's not fair!" I cried, "I don't want to stay here by myself! What if something happens and I burn the house down?"

"That's why you'll have a babysitter."

"A babysitter?" Did Pepper think I was that childish that I needed a babysitter? "But I'm not a baby! I'm old enough to look after myself!"

"I thought you said you'd burn the house down." Pepper said smartly, a smirk on her lips.

"You know I just said that so I could go to New York. Please, Pepper, I don't need a babysitter, I promise."

"Well it's a bit late now, I've already had the interviews and I've hired a nice lady called Debra-"

"What! So why did I just spend like an hour trying to get you to let me come with you?"

"What is going on up here? I can't concentrate with you two yelling like that."

"We're not yelling, Tony, we're having a discussion."

"Pepper won't let me come to New York with you for the Expo opening." I yelled down to him.

"Vi, listen to Pepper." This made me scowl angrily.

And so I was left behind with the babysitter that Pepper had hired who had kept her claw-like hand on my shoulder as we watched Tony, Pepper and Happy preparing to leave for the airport and who dropped all pretence of kindness once the silver Audi had rolled out of the driveway and was out of sight. That was when the seemingly endless cycle of boring shows, bland food and general dullness began. Debra seemed to have taken Pepper's instructions very seriously and wasn't letting me do anything fun, keeping me under constant watch, accept at night.

When it was time for the opening of the Stark Expo, which was being broadcast on national television, Debra finally let me watch something that wasn't a soap or a documentary (although I was pretty sure it was only because Pepper told her to let me watch it before they left).

The sound of one of Tony's favourite songs was suddenly filling my ears and so I turned my attention away from the annoying tapping foot of Debra and towards the TV screen where my dad was making his trademark entrance in one of his newest suits.