Chapter XIII • The Iron Monger

Vi's head snapped towards the source of the scream and what she saw made her blood run cold: Pepper running for her life as a gigantic silver suit rampaged after her

Vi's head snapped towards the source of the scream and what she saw made her blood run cold: Pepper running for her life as a gigantic silver suit rampaged after her. This armour was nothing like her father's slick, aerodynamic suit, this was a bulky monster of destruction.

"Violet, run!" Coulson cried, pushing the little girl towards the door, "Get out!" she didn't need telling twice. The eleven year old sprinted after the redheaded assistant as the S.H.I.E.L.D agents around her began to fire bullet after bullet at the metal beast. Vi could hear it getting closer and closer but she was almost at the door. Stane was relentless but so was the steal wall blocking his path.

A loud sigh of relief escaped from Vi's lips as she slid to a halt behind Pepper.

"Violet?" Pepper cried when she saw the girl panting behind her. "What are you doing here?"

"Got kidnapped." said Vi, breathing heavily. She was doubled over with her hands on her knees.

"Pepper." a disembodied voice spoke, seemingly from nowhere. Vi knew that voice anywhere. Her father.

"Tony?" gasped the redhead, spinning around. Vi's heart was beating in her ears; her father was alive! "Tony, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Do you have Vi with you?"

"Yes she's here with me. Tony, Obadiah, he's gone insane!"

"I know, listen, you two had better get out of there."

"-he built a suit-"

"Get out of there right now!"

"Pepper..."

A deep rumbling began to sound from the ground beneath the two girls' feet, a rumble that soon became roar as the earth began to open and the Iron Monger emerged.

"Where do you think you're going?" he said in his terrible, thundering voice. "Your services are no longer required." He raised his arm on which Vi saw some sort of weapon and it was pointed right at Pepper and Violet. Pepper held the little girl behind her, putting her body in between them.

"Stane!" at the sound of this cry, Vi turned to see the familiar suit of her father's zooming towards them. The two metal bodies collided together , smashing through the concrete and into the busy road beyond the building, out of sight.

"Pepper? Pepper, what's going to happen?" Vi asked the assistant, her big, youthful eyes staring up at her. She was deathly afraid; afraid that Tony wouldn't win the fight that was raging on the road below them; afraid of being left alone again.

Pepper bit her lip, "I don't know, Vi. I wish I did. I just can't believe that this is happening." She ran a shaky hand through her ginger hair. When it was by her side once more, the little girl grasped it gently; this provided the two with some comfort, which they were in desperate need of.