Chapter II • A Court Date

The day after the opening of the Stark Expo was, thankfully, a Saturday so I didn't have to go to school that morning

The day after the opening of the Stark Expo was, thankfully, a Saturday so I didn't have to go to school that morning. This meant that I wouldn't have to deal with the other kids' constant chatting about the Expo and all the pointing that would accompany this. When I first started school I enjoyed the attention from the other kids, it felt as though I had loads of good friends but that positive attention turned very negative, very quickly. Rumours about me were spread and I was judged on everything I did and how I looked. I couldn't deal with it. The only person who stood by me was Kasia; she was a true friend to me and she is now the only person I speak to at school unless I have to talk to others.

I fished my phone out of my back pocket and scrolled through my contacts until I found Kasia's name and hit the call button. The phone dialled for a few seconds before the brunette answered.

"Hey, Vi! Did you watch the Expo last night?" said Kasia's bright and cheerful voice.

"Hiya! Yeah, I did. It was pretty cool, especially that old video of my Granddad but that's not why I called, are you up to anything today?" Silence. "Kash? Kash, you still there?"

Kasia didn't say anything for a second, "Vi...you may want to put the news on."

"Why? What's happened?" I said. I picked the controller up and switched over to CNN.

"-Iron Man weapon turned over to the people of the United States of America."

"Well you can forget it. I am Iron Man. The suit and I are one. To turn over the Iron Man suit would be to turn over myself, which is tantamount to indentured servitude or prostitution, depending on what State you're in. You can't have it."

"Look I'm no expert-"

"In prostitution? Of course not. You're a Senator. Come on."

"I'm no expert in weapons. We have somebody here who is an expert on weapons. I would now like to call Justin Hammer, our current primary weapons contractor."

"Let the record reflect that I observed Mr. Hammer entering the chamber, and I am wondering if and when any actual expert will also be in attendance." Hammer's eyes flashed with anger but a smile still remained on his face.

"Absolutely, I'm no expert. I defer to you, Anthony. You're the wonder boy. Senator if I may. I may well not be an expert but you know who was the expert? Your dad. Howard Stark. Really a father to us all, and to the military-industrial age. Let's just be clear, he was no flower child. He was a lion. We all know why we're here: in the last six months, Anthony Stark has created a sword with untold possibilities. Any yet he insists it's a shield. He asks us to trust him as we cower behind it. I wish I were comforted, Anthony, I really do. I'd love to leave my door unlocked when I leave the house but this ain't Canada. We live in a world of grave threats, threats that Mr. Stark will not always be able to foresee. Thank you. God bless Iron Man. God bless America."