Chapter X • Decisions

I had been sat in the passenger seat of one of the many Audi sports cars Tony owned for a good ten minutes when the man himself finally appeared from inside the abandoned warehouse that Director Fury has instructed us to meet him at

"Your turn." Said Tony through the car window which I had rolled down to let some air in.

Acknowledging his words, I opened the door and clambered out before making my way to the tattered metal door which my father had just come out of, passing the guard on the way.

The room I entered wasn't as large as it looked from my position in the car outside. In the centre of the room were two chairs positioned across from each other with a table in between them, one of which was occupied by Director Fury. Behind him stood two blue holograms showing the S.H.I.E.L.D logo.

I rubbed my sweating palms together as I sat down in the empty seat across from Fury, who was wearing his signature black leather coat and eyepatch just like the last time we had met.  He was leant casually on the back of his chair and was watching me closely with his one good eye.

"Have you made your decision, Miss Stark?" Fury asked me, leaning forward, his arms crossing on the table.

"You realise you gave me literally no time to make a decision that affects the rest of my life, right?" I told him with a raised eyebrow. When the Director didn't respond I answered his question with a sigh, "Yes I've made my decision."

"And?"

"I...have decided to...choose both." I said slowly, choosing my words with care.

It had taken me a while to realise that, despite his reckless and annoying behaviour, I loved my father unconditionally and I didn't want to not live with him anymore. I also, however, wanted Natasha to be a part of my life - she and S.H.I.E.L.D were the only connections to my mother and the secret life she had that I had and I didn't want to lose that.

"Both?"

"Yes," I confirmed, "I've done some research and guardians can have joint custody of a child. So that's what I want: equally time with Nat and my Dad."

"That is not one of the options we gave you." Fury said, both brows raised as if surprised at my guts to ask for something they hadn't offered me.

No. I told myself, I'm telling, not asking.

"I know but that's what I want." I said, "Jesus that makes me sound like a spoiled brat. I mean that that's the decision I've made and I think that having equal time with both of them would have the best outcome for me." I explained confidently, hoping he couldn't tell I had practised my argument in the mirror for hours the previous evening.