Chapter VI • Lagacy

It was like I was floating on air, high above the earth where nothing could touch me and no worry could plague me

It was like I was floating on air, high above the earth where nothing could touch me and no worry could plague me. I didn't think, in that moment, that anything would disrupt my slumber but nothing lasts forever.

"Vi?" I heard a far off voice say as I stirred, "Happy, look, I think she's waking up."

"Pepper?" My throat was dry and my voice sounded croaky from lack of use. Light filled my vision as my eyes fluttered open.

"Hey, honey." The redhead's tired but smiling face came into focus beside me as my eyes adjusted, "You had us so worried. How are you feeling?"

"My head feels a little weird." I said putting my hand up to my left temple. Instead of skin, I felt soft fabric; it was then that I realised my head was bandaged.

"Do you remember what happened?" Pepper sounded cautious when she said this.

Scatted memories of the party flashed before my eyes. The shattered glass. The two Iron Man suits. The blast. "Erm...sorta. Did I pass out?"

"Yeah. You've been out for almost fourteen hours." I turned my head and saw that Happy was also present. He too looked exhausted.

My eyes flitted around the room and I realised I was in a hospital room.

"How did I get here?" I asked, looking at the two adults.

"Rhodey flew you here and then called me to tell me what had happened." Pepper looked at me with guilt and regret in her eyes, "Vi, I am so sorry. You should never have been in the house during the party. If I had just arranged for you to go to Kasia's for the night, this never would have happened."

"Pep, it's okay." I tried to reassure her, taking her hand in mine, "It's not your fault. Dad should never have gotten so out of control. It's his fault."

- Tony -

The rising Californian sun beat down upon the infamous Tony Stark as he gorged on his favourite iced donuts, attempting to cure himself of the raging headache his hangover had created. From his position inside the engorged version of the sweet treat he was eating, the billionaire watched as the people of LA went about their morning commutes, some off to work, some visiting family, some dropping their kids off at school. Tony felt the gnawing of guilt as he watched the parents with their kids in their cars when he remembered the multiple occasions he had not been there to do the school run, the countless times he had failed to be a good father and take his daughter to school when she asked.

 Tony felt the gnawing of guilt as he watched the parents with their kids in their cars when he remembered the multiple occasions he had not been there to do the school run, the countless times he had failed to be a good father and take his daught...