Chapter IV • The Press Conference

The car stopped in a space in front of the large building where the press conference was to be held

The car stopped in a space in front of the large building where the press conference was to be held. Vi could hear the cries of the reporters as they called for Tony. People had lined up behind a red, velvet rope which led to the front door of the building and they all held either cameras or recording equipment or microphones or even papers for Tony to sign his autograph on.

"Okay, Vi," said Pepper, turning around in her seat to face her, "I want you to stay as close to me as you can. I don't want you getting lost."

"Don't baby her Miss Potts." Tony scoffed. "She's a big girl. You're what? Nine?"

"I'm eleven." Vi said as Pepper said: "She's eleven."

Tony shrugged and Pepper glared at him. Quite the grown-up wasn't he? This was the person who was supposed to teach her wrong from right? Violet was doomed for sure.

Happy stepped out of the car and opened the door for Tony, who was unwrapping his third cheeseburger. Vi shuffled along and followed Tony out of the vehicle.

As soon as Vi stepped out, she was blinded by the flashes of cameras. Reporters yelled various questions at Tony which he ignored and continued to eat his burger.

"Mr. Stark how did you get back?"

"Have you enjoyed your homecoming?"

"What happened to you out there?"

"Who's the girl, Stark?" at the last question, Pepper grabbed Violet by the hand and dragged her through the crowd of people. She pulled her in close to try and protect her from the flashes of the reporter's cameras. Happy was walking close behind them and Vi thought he looked like a gangster with his shades on.

A bald man with a beard whom Vi had never seen or met before greeted Pepper and then turned to Vi. "Hello kid, I've heard a lot about you from Pepper." he said with a smile.

"Nice to meet you." said the eleven-year-old nervously. He grinned before turning to face the cameras with Tony.

"That's Obadiah Stane." Pepper whispered in Vi's ear when she saw her confused expression, "He's known Tony for decades, he's his mentor which is sort of like a teacher."

The reporters followed Obadiah and Tony like sheep as the two men walked over to the stage in the room. Tony slid down onto the floor so that he sat in front of the podium, still stuffing his face with his cheeseburger. Obadiah raised an eyebrow at him and the reporters began to murmur about his unusual actions. Vi, however, saw that Tony looked exhausted and who could blame the guy for wanting to sit down, he had just gotten back from being held by terrorists for crying out loud. Tony didn't seem fazed by the reporters or Obadiah but just looked around at them all.

"Miss Potts?" a voice whispered from beside Pepper, making Violet jump.

"Yes?"

"Do you have a minute?" asked the voice.