Chapter VIII • Hammer Expo

I was dreading Hammer's presentation

I was dreading Hammer's presentation. I knew that it was either going to be very dull or something bad was going to happen; the butterflies in my stomach were steering towards the latter.

After driving for what felt like no time at all, the car came to a halt outside the pavilion where the presentation was taking place. Happy got out of the car and opened my door for me, helping me clamber out of the back seat while Nat and Pepper exited from the other side. I smoothed down the pale blue dress I had donned out of the need to do something with my shaking hands.

"I'll keep the car down here, all right?" said Happy from beside me.

"Thank you Happy." Pepper replied. She turned to me, "Come on, Vi, I want you to stay close to me. Don't wander off."

"I won't." I told her, walking around the car towards her, "Don't worry, Pep."

The three of us walked up the steps that led up to the pavilion as the speakers sounded an announcement:

"The presentation will begin shortly in the main pavilion."

- 𝓣.𝓢 -

A cheesy jingle played out of the speakers throughout the auditorium as Justin Hammer danced onto the stage.

"Oh my god." I said, lowering my head into my left hand, slightly embarrassed just to be watching Hammer's display.

"Yeah. That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for coming." He said as he finally reached the erected glass podium, ceasing his dancing. The audience put their hands together and so, out of politeness, I joined in the applause.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Hammer started, "for far too long, this country has had to place its brave men and women in harm's way, but then the Iron Man arrived, and we thought the days of losing lives were behind us. Sadly, that technology was kept out of reach. That's not fair. That's not right. And it's just too bad."

"Oh, Lord." I heard Pepper say from my right-hand side.

"Regardless, it was an impressive innovation, one that grabbed the headlines the world over. Well, today, my friends, the press is faced with quite a difficult problem. They are about to run out of ink." There was scattered clapping at the failed attempt of humour. Hammer coughed, embarrassed, as two people dressed in blue ran onto the stage to remove the podium which stood in front of the millionaire, "Get that out of here." He said to them.