Chapter V • The Time Bomb

One would think that being in a flying spy base would be fun and exciting but I found myself thoroughly bored while my father and Dr Banner played with their computers

My head was resting against the cool metal of the counter at which I sat as I absentmindedly doodled around my drawing of the S.H.I.E.L.D logo and contemplated the reason I was still here. As much as I was anxious to be in the thick of the action, I had not expected for there to be so little action going on and Dad's spat with Captain America could hardly count.

I sighed deeply. Steve Rogers was someone I had learned about at school, someone I had looked up to and admired. He was the epitome of what a hero should be... and yet I could not help but think he was following orders like a blind man, almost not wanting to know the dark truth beneath the surface. Despite my ambitions to be a part of S.H.I.E.L.D, I wasn't naive enough to believe the organisation didn't have skeletons in their closet and monsters under the bed. I had seen first hand what hidden demons could do to even the biggest of corporations and I wasn't willing to turn a blind eye and let the same thing happen to S.H.I.E.L.D.

My thoughts were interrupted when the door to the lab once again opened and Director Fury marched in with a most unhappy face on.

"What are you doing, Mr Stark?" He said, sounding exasperated. I looked over at my father, who was sat on the workbench in front of Banner, and realised that S.H.I.E.L.D must have finally picked up on the breach in their security.

"Uh...kind of been wondering the same thing about you," Dad said, giving Fury a calculating look.

"You're supposed to be locating the Tesseract."

"We are." The Doctor answer, "The model's locked and we're sweeping for the signature now. When we get a hit, we'll have the location within half a mile."

"And you'll get your cube back, no muss, no fuss. What is PHASE 2?"

Suddenly, the Captain was back, making quite the entrance by slamming a heavy metal object down on the counter which stood in the centre of the lab.

"PHASE 2 is S.H.I.E.L.D uses the cube to make weapons." He answered, "Sorry, the computer was moving a little slow."

"Woah." I breathed as I studied the weapon Rogers had brought. I had only seen objects like this in books before: it was one of the weapons used by HYDRA during the Second World War. Knowing I needed to get a closer look at it, I hopped up from my seat and moved over to it, but was careful not to touch it.

"Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract." Fury attempted to explain, "This does not mean that we're-"

"I'm sorry, Nick. What were you lying?" I looked up from the HYDRA gun as Dad flipped around the monitor on which he was working, revealing clear plans for a weapon which harnessed the power of the Tesseract.