Chapter V • Pepperoni Pizza

"Home sweet home

"Home sweet home." Tony said as the slammed the door of the car.

Vi hopped out of the car, happy to feel the California sun on her face and a soft breeze in her hair. She pulled her hoodie off to reveal the Queen T-shirt  she had on underneath. "Can we order pizza?" she asked.

"Pizza? You had chicken nuggets." Pepper said with raised eyebrows.

Vi shrugged, "That was lunch, pizza's dinner."

Tony let out a "Ha" of laughter as he walked in the front door which Happy held open for him.

"Please Pepper, I'll clean my room, I promise." Vi pleaded, giving her puppy dog eyes.

"Fine but I want you to clean your room before I order the pizza."

"Yay!" the eleven year old skipped upstairs into her room. On her way, she passed Tony in the corridor.

"What have you done to my spare bedroom?" he asked as he stared at Vi's room.

"I decorated it." she said as she picked up various items of clothing from the floor and dumped them in the washing basket.

Tony said nothing but turning and entered his own room, closing the door behind him. He probably wanted to change into something more comfortable.

Violet sighed. How was she supposed to bond with her father when Tony didn't even want her in his house. She walked over to the CD player that stood on her desk and pressed the play button. Rockstar by Nickelback to play on the surround sound. Vi danced around her room, tidying as she went. She put her toys in their boxes, took down the little den she had made for herself under her climbing frame and putt all the blankets and cushions back on her couch and bed.

"Miss Stark? Miss Potts wants to know if you have finished tidying your room." J.A.R.V.I.S said, turning the music Vi was playing down.

"I have but I can go tell her." Vi told the AI.

The eleven year old skipped down the stairs to see that Pepper and Tony were discussing pizza toppings.

"I want a pepperoni." Tony told Pepper who rolled her eyes.

"Do you ever eat any other type of pizza?"

"Nope."

"I like pepperoni!" piped up Violet from the bottom of the stairs.

"See the kid doesn't mind." Tony exclaimed.

"Fine. J.A.R.V.I.S, can you order a large pepperoni pizza and a personal chicken pizza, please."

"Of course, Ms Potts."

- 𝓣.𝓢 -

"I'm stuffed." Vi groaned.

They were sitting on the couch, pizza boxes open on the coffee table. Tony was munching happily in his half of the pepperoni pizza while Vi was struggling to finish her's.

"Are you going to eat that?" Tony pointed to Vi's last pizza slice.

"You can have it." Tony took the slice and promptly stuffed it in his mouth without so much as a thank you.

"Vi, could you put the box in the trash please?" Pepper asked. Violet could tell that she was trying to get rid of her but went anyway - she could always listen in to their conversation through the door.

Picking up the box, the little girl made her way to the state of the art kitchen, keeping an ear out for an whispered conversations that might be happening in the other room. Once in the kitchen, Vi shoved the empty box into the already full 'trash can' as Pepper and Happy called it. She was having a little trouble getting used to the way Americans say things - the first time Pepper had told Vi to put something in the trash, she hadn't known what on earth she was on about and had to ask J.A.R.V.I.S who had explained that in America, people said things differently than in England.

Voices reached her ears as Vi made her way back to the living room and so she stopped to listen.

"Why do I have to get stuck with her?" Tony's annoyed voice said.

"Because she's your daughter!" Pepper exclaimed. "Her mother just died, you are the only parent she has left now."

"Can't we just send her to an orphanage?" groaned the billionaire. Vi's eyes widened in horror. No, anything but an orphanage! She had watched Annie with her mum and she knew all about the horrors of orphanages!

"No!"

"Then find her a school to go to and send her to it ASAP."

"She already goes to school. She's been living here for weeks, Tony, I pulled her out for today so you could meet her." Pepper explained to her boss.

"Perfect!"

Violet had had enough. She didn't want to listen to this anymore. Holding back the tears in her eyes, she ran past Tony and Pepper and up the stairs. She ignored Pepper's calls and ran straight into her room, slamming the door behind her. Vi ducked under the sheet she had hung over her monkey bars to make a sort of den and curled up on a soft beanbag. She finally let the tears fall and she cried.

"Dimples?"

"Go away." she said, the sound muffled by the beanbag.

"I'm sorry, Vi. I didn't mean what I said." Tony apologises. He moved the sheet aside and entered the den, sitting against the wall.

"Yes you did, why would you not say what you mean?" the little girl said, lifting her head off the beanbag.

Tony ran a hand through his dark hair and sighed. "I'm just scared."

"Scared?" she said, now sitting up fully, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Scared of what?"

"Scared of being a father I guess. Scared of failing you like my father failed me." this didn't help in Vi's confusion. How can he be scared of being my father. Adults aren't scared of anything.

"But I thought adults weren't scared of anything." she voiced, shuffling an inch closer to Tony.

"Nobody's scared of nothing." he told her.

"I'm scared of being by myself." Vi mumbled. "I don't want to be sent to an orphanage. Please don't send me away."

"You're not going to be sent anywhere," Tony hesitated, "except school, you are definitely going to school tomorrow."

"But tomorrow's Saturday..." Vi reminded him.

"Then you'll go to school on Monday."

Vi laughed and Tony smiled.

Hiya! I thought I would publish this a day earlier because tomorrow's my prom so I'll probably forget. This is just a filler chapter really but I hope you enjoyed it just the same!

Hope everyone had a good 4th of July!(even though I'm English so I don't celebrated it😂) Also, Cap turned 100 yesterday! Happy Birthday Steve!!!❤️

Word Count: 1034
Published: 5 July 2018