Chapter 9

"Ugh! Where the hell is my black dress?" I yell out my bedroom door. Leigh-Anne is sitting on the couch laughing at something on TV.

"Stressed much?" she replies from the other room.

"I need your help! Get your ass off the couch!" I say in my pouty voice and stomp my feet like a twelve-year-old. I need her to calm me down and pack for me. It's been four days since I last saw Jade. I've gotten almost nothing accomplished because every time I sit to start something, I find myself daydreaming of her face or imagining her lips leaning down to kiss me. Lost in yet another fantasy of Jade, I sigh and hear Leigh-Anne laugh again, only this time she's in my doorway, staring at me.

"Lost in Jadeland again, are we?" She snorts and heads into my room. "You got it bad."

"Shut up. I do not!"

"Really?" Leigh tilts her head up and taps her finger on her chin as if she's debating something. "Well if that's true, then where's her business card? I could always call her since I'm single." She shrugs, gauging my reaction.

I glare at her. "You wouldn't dare."

"Hmmm. You said she's hot though, right?" She grins before continuing, "I really would like to see for myself. Who knows? Maybe we'll hit it off."

"You're so full of shit. You wouldn't do that to me." I turn and look in my drawer for the damn black dress that's not in my closet.

"If you're not interested, why should it matter?" In the mirror I see her raise an eyebrow, goading me.

"I'm not interested, but that doesn't mean I want her hanging around here." I know she'll never buy it, but that's all I've got.

"I'll make sure not to bring her around. I know she's your client and all." I turn and look at her smiling face. She's waiting for me to either have an epic tantrum or call her on it.

Fine. Two can play at this game. "The card is on the dresser," I walk over to the card Jade placed in my hand last week. "Go ahead and give her a call. I'll be right here." I hold it out to Leigh-Anne, willing her to take it, hoping she doesn't.

She grabs the card and reaches for the phone. She types the numbers and smiles the whole time as I gape at her. I can't believe she's calling her. I know what I said, but I never thought she'd actually do it. She knows me better than that. I'm about to say something when I look closer and realize she has my phone in her hand. I leap over the pile of clothes on the floor and lunge for the phone. She falls back on the bed, laughing hysterically as I claw my way up and rip it out of her hand. "You bitch!" I try to contain my laughter as I scroll through the call log to see if she dialed. "I'm gonna kill you! Thank God you didn't freaking call her!"

"Nope, I wouldn't call her. That would be sooo embarrassing." She stands and heads into my closet.

Just as I'm about to go back to packing, my phone vibrates in my hand. I look down and open the text message from a number I don't recognize.

Unknown: Can't wait to see you either.

Dread seeps through my veins as I grab the business card and check the number. Sure enough, it's Jade. She's dead!

"Leigh-Anne! You've got to be kidding me! You texted her?" I exclaim.

She peeks her head out from the closet, smiling. "I said I didn't call her. Never said anything about other forms of communication." She giggles and goes back into the closet.

I take a deep breath, trying to calm down. Okay, I can handle this. I won't respond, and I'll play it off when I see her—although, I might be in a jail cell instead of meeting Jade tomorrow. I think a judge would understand why I had to murder my best friend. I sink onto my bed and put my pillow over my head, groaning.