Chapter 21

Our night together put us over some imaginary threshold. We've talked almost every day and we saw each other for lunch a few days ago. It's been two weeks of laughter and falling into a nice rhythm together.

I grab the subway and head to her apartment, where she has another day of surprises in store for me. She's standing outside waiting, and the sight of her causes my pulse to spike. Her brown hair is in sexy disarray and her white T-shirt is tight, which lets me see her defined muscles perfectly. Butterflies stir in my stomach. It astounds me that we're dating-she's magnificent, commanding, sweet, and so many other things. I can't keep my eyes off her when she's around. The chemistry between us crackles like flames on a log. My body comes to life when she touches me-it's a heady feeling.

As I approach she gives me a lopsided grin. "Hello, gorgeous."

"Hello yourself." I smile and she immediately reaches out, pulling me flush against her. "Do you always have to manhandle me?"

"Well, baby, I'm all man and I sure as hell love to handle you." Her eyes glimmer with humor.

Hell yeah she is-every single fantastic inch of her.

"You're ridiculous." I shake my head.

"Yet you keep coming back, so I must not be that bad." She smirks and gives me a long, panty-melting kiss.

Right here on 5th Avenue in New York City, she has once again rendered me helpless. Shoppers, families, cabs, and bikers all fade away as her lips move with mine. Jade pulls back and wraps her arm around me.

I love how physical she is, almost as if she can't keep her hands off me. It's such a contrast to anything I'm used to. Whether it's holding hands or something as simple as touching legs when we watch television, those small moments say so much. They're unspoken words that show the true depth of what we're both feeling.

"So what's on our agenda today?" I ask with a light heart.

There's happiness dancing in her eyes when she responds, "The park."

My face falls at her answer. Jade told me to make sure I was comfortable today. No heels, no dresses. She said to be sure I wore sneakers. I made her promise no military training exercises, no entering me for some kind of race or marathon, and no other strenuous physical activity that would have me aching for days after completion. After my ribbing about her love of running and exercise in general, I was a little hesitant, but she swore I would love today. I trusted her-first mistake.

"Why do I think I should've stayed home in bed?" I groan.

She laughs and pulls me tighter. "I wasn't in bed with you, so that's reason enough to get up," Jade jokes in my ear as we walk. "One day I'll get you to agree to a mud run or something, but you'll be happy to know I kept my end of the bargain today. They don't have an obstacle course in Central Park-yet. And there's no marathon."

"Yet somehow that doesn't comfort me." I smile and nudge her.

We keep walking until we stop in front of the Central Park Zoo. My smile is so wide I can't contain it. I leap into her arms, wrapping my legs around her torso and pressing my lips to her. Her eyes are bright and full of happiness.

"Jade!" I squeal, hugging her tight.

"Happy?" she asks with an irresistibly devilish grin.

I've thought it before and I'm thinking it now-Jade can read my mind. Or we're just that in sync. The zoo. This is one of the few places that holds any kind of happy memories for me and my dad. I love that she brought me here.

I let her see it all in my eyes, allowing her to see how very much this means to me. My whole heart is open to her as we stand wrapped around each other. After a few seconds or minutes-I don't know which-I give her another kiss and untangle myself.