Chapter 27

With a large box filled with everything I needed, I made it home before the rain started. My table is now covered in papers and diagrams while the storm rages outside. I've got my music going, comfy clothes on, and copious amounts of coffee in a gigantic cup. I never should've called out on Monday. This meeting will be a disaster because I'm not prepared. Looks like an all-nighter is in my future. My phone keeps ringing. It's the fifth time in the last hour, but I don't have time to deal with it.

Finally, after the tenth missed call, I grab it and see Jade's name across the screen. My heart starts pounding and my throat goes dry. With shaking fingers, I swipe across the screen.

"Hi," I say softly.

"Hello, Perrie. Sorry to call so late but I just got out of a meeting." Her tone is all business.

Hearing her is a shock to my system. I've missed the sound of her voice. The way she says my name—it's like home. However, she doesn't sound like she returns the sentiment.

I straighten my back, hoping to grab on to my professionalism. This is business. She's not calling because she missed me or wants to talk. "Not a problem. What did you need?" My voice sounds weak, even to me.

She takes a deep breath before answering. "I know we planned to finalize everything tomorrow, but I need it tonight."

"Tonight?" I look around at all the incomplete papers. I can't have it ready tonight! I already needed to work well past midnight to get it done.

"I'm in New Jersey. I'm assuming you're home since you didn't answer your office phone."

"Yes, I'm home but I don't have everything with me. Some things are still in the office. But I can get it to you tomorrow. Besides, it's storming," I say, trying to stall her. Shit!

"I'm going out of town tomorrow and I'm not sure when I'll be back. I won't have time. It has to be tonight," she says, clipped and almost angry.

"You're leaving?" I ask, confused. She was going to leave and not tell me. I know we're not in the best place, but it still hurts to hear it.

"I need to go to Virginia. I would've called earlier but, like I said, I've been tied up. I'll be at your house in twenty."

I look at the clock and then at what I have done. While most would be satisfied, I'm not. It's not my best work and the idea of giving it to Jade unfinished makes me nauseous. There's no way she's going to be impressed. I'm shaking my head and trying to find another excuse when I hear her clear her throat.

"Jade," I sigh. Her name rolls off my tongue while tearing a hole in my chest. "I can meet you tomorrow morning, before your trip. I have some stuff in the office that would complete the press release and the other items for the launch. I don't want to give it to you incomplete." I close my eyes. She feels so close, almost like I could touch her through the phone.

"I won't have time tomorrow. I'll take what you have and you can have the rest sent."

If she wants to treat me like a business associate, then she should know showing up at people's apartments at night isn't exactly professional.

"I'm not happy about this. It's late and I—"

"If I could help it, I would. I have to leave early in the morning, and I need this set in motion before I get back. So you can either have me come get it now, or you can bring it to me in New York tonight." She takes a long pause. "I was trying to make it easier for you since I'm in New Jersey."

"Fine, but just know you don't have everything."

"See you in a few," she says and disconnects the call.