Chapter 10

The plane is breathtaking. It has plush leather seats and a couch against the right wall. There's a wet bar at the back wall and another room in the rear of the plane. I'm assuming it's an office or a bedroom, but I have no intention of finding out. The décor is beautiful. Done in cream and a rich blue, it's striking and regal. Very fitting for the woman I'm traveling with.

Jade walks forward from the bar area looking calm and collected. She's back to being professional. "Make yourself comfortable. It's only about a two-hour flight."

"Is this your plane?" I ask, still looking around the cabin as I sit in one of the captain chairs.

"Yes, I fly back and forth from New York to Virginia a lot. Purchasing a company jet made sense." She looks at the seat across the aisle and then turns and sits in the seat next to me. Why does she insist on sitting so damn close?

"Oh, I didn't know you visited the facility that much."

She looks up, shifting uncomfortably in her seat. "I don't. Well, I didn't. I have a second company, which is why I spent a lot of time in Virginia. Plus, I was stationed there when I was on active duty, so I get to visit the team when I'm there."

"You served?" I never would have thought she was prior military. She looks so young. Finding out she owns a second company throws me as well.

Jade straightens in her seat and lifts her head, her eyes locking on mine. One side of her mouth lifts revealing that adorable smile. When she speaks, her voice is laced with pride. "Yes, I served eight years in the Navy."

I smile at this remarkable woman, who's accomplished so much, and realize I know nothing about her. I guess this explains the hero complex. A small giggle escapes me, and I slap my hand over my mouth. Crap!

She looks at me with amusement. "Why is that funny?"

I smile. "It's not. I'm just laughing at how you seem to like to save people." Great, now I sound stupid.

She lets out a short laugh. "Yeah, well there's a lot about me you don't know." She nudges my arm.

I smirk and shake my head at her. Out of nowhere the plane jerks and I freeze. A sudden burst of anxiety hits me and I grab the arms of the chair, white-knuckling it. She notices, of course, and places a hand on my arm. "Are you afraid of flying?" she asks. Her sultry voice does nothing for my nerves.

"N-No," I barely get the word out. My hands are sweating and my heart is pounding as she removes her hand. I've flown hundreds of times. I don't mind it at all, but I've never flown on a private plane. Or flown next to a woman who seems to affect me so much.

She leans closer. Her clean soap and cologne smell is so hypnotic, I can't stop myself from taking a deep breath. The heat from her body is everywhere, and she's not even touching me. "Don't worry, Perrie, you're safe with me. Just close your eyes."

I glance at her as the plane begins to move again. "I'll be fine. I'm being silly." How many more ways am I going to embarrass myself with this woman?

"Relax and close your eyes," she says softly but with an air of authority.

"When did you get so bossy?" I close my eyes and smile, hearing a rustling before I sense her shifting closer.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" she replies, humor dancing in her voice. "Now, stop talking and just breathe."

I take a deep breath and start to sing to myself. My father used to sing this song to me at night whenever I had bad dreams. The lyrics soothed me. Throughout my life, I've always sung that song when I needed strength, even though it was associated with him. Now is no different. My father's voice, singing about me being his one and only sunshine, echoes through my ears and floods my mind. If only it'd been true.