Chapter 28

"Talk to me. What happened?" I croon softly, not releasing my hold. "Hey." I lift her face, trying to get her to look at me.

She shifts, pulling away from my embrace. I feel the loss everywhere and see the change as soon as she stands. She's shutting down. Two steps forward, one step back. The mask of indifference has secured itself.

With eyes closed, she takes two deep breaths before speaking. "What happened?" Jade asks sarcastically. She pushes the air from her lungs in frustration. "I'll tell you what happened—I did it again!"

"Did what again?" I ask quietly.

She throws her hands in the air and begins to pace the room. "I fucking knew it."

I start to approach her, trying to keep my tone calm. "I don't understand. What did you know?"

Jade stops moving. Her eyes widen as if she forgot I was here. The harshness in her voice slices through me. "I'm no good for you."

"Why would you say that?" Her statement stuns me, especially since she just said she'd fight for me. What the hell happened on the phone to make her think this?

"Don't you get it? Everyone I love dies!" Jade approaches but stops. "I can't let you be the next one. I'll die before I let that happen."

I'm lost. "Jade, talk to me." I place my hand on her arm, but she shoves it away. The rejection burns through my veins. "Don't push me away. I'm trying to understand," I urge her.

"I'm not pushing you away. I'm saving you!" She yells and walks over to grab her phone. "I won't let it happen to you too!"

"Let what happen? You're not making any sense!" I say to her as she heads toward the door. "Stop! Talk to me!" I beg her. She made me promise not to run but that's exactly what she's doing.

It's like we've gone back to three days ago, only now I'm on the other side. She's breaking and I can't stop it. Desperate to get her to listen, I run in front of her, placing myself between her and the door and hoping it will stop her. Her eyes are unfocused and void as the storm rages within her. She's going to break my heart right here. The irony is not lost on me—I gave it to her only to have it shattered. My stomach churns as I see the truth of that reflected in her eyes. Whether I'm standing here or not, she's walking out this door. I've already lost her.

Her face is ashen as she chokes out the words. She's speaking but not to me. "How many more tattoos do I have to get? Huh? How many ways do I have to mark my mistakes?" Jade looks at me, desperation flashing across her face. "I'm protecting you, Perrie. I won't let you love me."

A tear cascades as the words fall out. "Too late."

Her eyes snap up at my admission and her nostrils flare. She quickly pushes forward. "Don't! Don't say that!" The muscles in her neck are pulsing with rage and frustration.

"I will say it because it's true. What did you think was going to happen? I knew I was falling for you. Then you told me ... you told me I was it for you! Don't walk away. Don't give up on us."

Leaning close to my face, her warm breath washes over my cheek while my tears fall freely. Ever so slowly, her hand lifts. She gently removes a droplet of pain from my cheek only to have more follow in its path. Her lips tenderly find purchase on my temple. "I'm not giving up. I'm giving you a chance."

I refuse to move from the door. If she leaves, I'll never get her back. I can't lose her. My pulse is racing, but I stand strong. I have to do something to make her see me.

"Jade, I love you! Give us a chance," I beg her, praying she'll listen to me.

Her arms wrap around me, dispelling my fears and the breath I was holding. With my eyes closed, I take this moment, finding the tiniest bit of relief in it. She didn't leave. I told her I loved her and she's here, enveloping me in her warmth. I could stay in her arms forever. I feel her lips press against my forehead. When I look up into her eyes, hoping to see her recovered, the color drains from my face. There's no love or recovery there, just determination. It rolls off her like thunder.