Chapter 22

It's been the week from hell. Nothing has gone right. My car broke down and I spilled coffee on my shirt first thing this morning. Worse than anything, Jade and I haven't seen each other much. She's coming with me today to the reading of my father's will, which is also causing me extreme stress. Leigh-Anne wanted to be there for me, but she's working on a breakthrough and it's been keeping her in the city for the last week.

I'm working on the final version of Raven's ad campaign today since the approvals finally came through. It's been the only thing Jade and I have argued about. I scheduled a few press releases, but she's been fighting about getting in front of the camera.

"Pez," Taylor's sweet voice comes through the intercom.

"Yes?"

"I have Zayn on the line. He says it's urgent." Taylor sounds as irritated as I am at his calling.

He's been relentless. He calls or texts almost every day, but this is the first time he's resorted to calling the office. He's wearing me down and my patience is already nonexistent.

"Tay, I can't do this today. Tell him I'm out of the office or whatever." I drop my head on the desk, making a loud thump. Fucking Zayn. Will this ever end?

Taylor comes in after getting rid of my annoyingly persistent ex. "He said he would try again later." She's wringing her hands as she sits to go over the Raven account.

"I don't want to take his calls, so don't even let me know anymore. Just don't put it through. Okay?"

"Sure, no problem." She smiles and nods her head.

"I have a meeting on Wednesday that I need the video ready for, so let's get to work." I return her smile and open my folder.

We have so much left to do to get things to where I want them. I'm an overachiever by nature, but I'm borderline obsessive on this one. It's different when you know the client, even more so when you know them intimately. My need to please people is always a problem, but with Jade it's kind of scary. I want her to be blown away by what I've done.

"It's almost time for you to leave," Taylor reminds me. "Do you want to finish up Monday?"

"Oh shit! Yes, let's plan to be in the office late next Monday and Tuesday. I need to have a few meetings with some magazines and meet with the marketing team. Plus, I need the print ads done before the release and the photo shoot." I stand and smooth my black dress. I figured black would be appropriate. Even though I'm not going to a funeral, in a way it's my own personal version of one. I'm saying good-bye to my father today in more ways than one.

"Sounds good." She shifts her weight and looks away.

"What's wrong, Tay?"

She doesn't say a word as she walks over and wraps her slender arms around me. After a moment of her squeezing, she inhales and swipes at her eye, looking forlorn. What the hell is going on?

"Are you quitting? Is that what this is?" I ask, panicking.

"No! I felt like you needed a hug. You've had a lot happen in the last few months, and I can't imagine today is going to be easy for you. I know you've been trying to pretend this isn't happening. I'm just glad you won't be alone."

I didn't want to tell Taylor or anyone in the office about my relationship with Jade, but I trust her. That, and she saw how happy I was after the trip, so she knew something was going on. She knows what a risk I'm taking, but she's genuinely excited about Jade and me. This is the kind of person I want in my life. People like her remind me not everyone is awful. I didn't even put two and two together as to what had her bothered, and come to find out it was concern for me.