Chapter 19 (Part 1)

After spending the next three hours agonizing over what to wear, I finally settled on my red, one-shoulder, A-line dress. My hair is curled and swept to the side and I'm pretty happy with the overall turnout. I've packed my overnight bag and threw my nude heels in there since I have to take the train into the city—there's no way I'm running around in heels. Leigh-Anne is going out later, so she agreed to drop me at the station on her way.

Stepping out into the living room, I ask, "Well, what do you think?" She lets out a whistle.

"You look holy shit hot! Wow. She's gonna be tenting all night long."

"What?" I ask, dumbfounded.

"You know, be pitching a tent in her pants." She giggles and nudges me.

"Grab your keys. I'm nervous enough without your asinine comments." I huff and nudge her back. My nerves are out of control. I don't know why since we've already slept together. We had a rather powerful talk today, but this seems so different—probably because our date is actually planned and I wasn't roped into it.

We exit the house with Leigh-Anne's arm around my neck. "No need to be nervous. You need to be you and she'll see how special you are. I'm pretty sure she already does."

"Just ... I don't know. Things got heavy this morning," I say to her as we get in the car. "I don't mean sexual heavy either. I kind of had a huge breakdown about my dad," I admit reluctantly. It's weird telling her this. Leigh-Anne and I share everything, but there are parts of my relationship with Jade I want to keep to myself.

"Wow. You never talk about him. But she still wants to take you out, so it didn't scare her off. Jade seems like a good person. She came over last night to see you. You were plastered and she stayed. She's obviously into you." She takes a deep breath while the words sink in. "I know it's hard for you to see, but please don't push her away. Let her see what I see." She places her hand on mine and squeezes, offering me comfort I'm reluctant to receive.

"Thanks, Leigh. I guess I'm just waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop."

"Well that's no way to live. Live for the moment." The car stops as we arrive at the train station. Leigh-Anne turns to me with her lips pursed. "I know this is hard for you. Here's the thing—nice people like her don't come around twice. From everything you've told me, she's only been good to you. Yeah, she's intense, but you guys have this insane chemistry. Stop fighting it!"

I lean over and give her a kiss on the cheek. "I'll try. Love you, Lee Lee!"

I run to catch the train. Thankfully I get on just in time. Grabbing the first seat available, I sit and text Jade.

Me: On my way. Where am I going?

Jade: A car will be waiting with your name. See you soon.

I smile at her gesture. She really is a good person, and I'm going to try to relax and enjoy tonight. The train ride is only about ten minutes, so I don't have time to do anything other than change my shoes and check myself over once. Exiting the train, I find a tall man in a suit holding a sign with my name on it.

"Ms. Edwards, I'm Xavier. I'll be your driver for this evening."

"Nice to meet you." I smile and follow him to a sleek black limo.

Wow, he really went all out.

"Do you know where we're going?" he asks curiously.

My eyes widen at his question. "No, do you?"

He lets out a throaty laugh and opens the door for me. "Yes, ma'am." I take a deep breath and scoot into the back. "It'll only be about ten minutes to our destination. There's champagne chilling in the bucket if you'd like a glass."