Chapter 15

There's an open seat at the end of the bar. I sit down, ordering my signature drink—lemon drop martini. As I place a ten-dollar bill on the bar, a hand presses over mine. I look up to a pair of light brown eyes and a shy smile.

"Hi. Can I help you?" I ask timidly.

"Sorry, but a beautiful woman such as yourself shouldn't have to pay for a drink. Ever." His smile widens and he extends his hand. "I'm Luke. Nice to meet you."

Not wanting to be impolite, I return the handshake. "Hi, I'm Perrie. Thanks for the drink."

"So, are you from Virginia Beach?" He asks and takes a sip of his beer. Really? How original.

"No." I give a short laugh. "I hate to be rude, Luke, but I'm meeting someone."

"He isn't here though, is he?" Luke asks.

Before I have a chance to reply, a deep, sexy voice rasps, "Yes, she is," from behind me.

Chills run down my spine. My body tightens as my breath hitches. A warm hand slowly travels up my back and rests on my bare shoulder. Jade's presence is so distinct. I know it's her even without turning around. Her thumb rests on the back of my neck, rubbing up and down. The entire lower part of my body is warm and tingling from her possessive touch.

Jade's voice is low and warning, and I can only imagine the look she's giving Luke right now. "Perrie,"—she leans close and presses her lips to my temple—"sorry to keep you waiting. Our table is ready."

Luke's face is stoic as he returns to his beer. I smile at him and place the ten-dollar bill back on the counter. Poor guy. He didn't stand a chance.

I gather my things and hear Jade inhale loudly as I stand. When I turn to her she's standing there with her jaw slack. I look around to see what has her attention, but she's staring at me.

I try to break her trance. "Jade?"

"You look breathtaking. I can't take my eyes off you." She looks me up and down, stopping leisurely at my neckline before her eyes make their way back up to my face.

"Ummm, thanks." I don't know how to take her compliment, the way she said it, or the way she seems to be undressing me with her eyes. I'm suddenly very hot—and bothered.

"You don't see it, do you?"

"See what?" I ask.

"Every person in this bar wants you right now." She takes a step forward, never breaking eye contact. "Every person wants to be me right now." Another step. "And none of them see what I see." One more step. We're now toe-to-toe as I lift my head to stare into her eyes. My heart beats so loud in my ears I have to strain to hear her words. She places her hand on my hip, pulling me against him. "I'm going to kiss you now, and I don't know if I'll be able to stop."

She leans her head and hooks her other hand around my back, slowly sliding it up as the gap between us closes. Her full lips are only a breath away when my lids flutter and shut. Then I feel her lips, soft and warm, pressing against mine. She pulls me even closer, tightening her grip and intensifying the kiss. I thread my fingers into her hair as her tongue sweeps across my lips, seeking entrance. I've died and gone to heaven. This is one of those moments I'll remember forever. Every girl dreams about a kiss like this. I sigh and give her access as our tongues brush against each other. All too soon Jade loosens her hold and ends the kiss. She lets out a soft breath and then presses a brief kiss to my lips once more. Her voice is raspy against my ear. "That should've been our first kiss."

I'm afraid to open my eyes and face a repeat rejection like last time. I lower my arms, still holding on to her shoulders, and take a deep breath. Hesitantly, I open my eyes and look up. Intensity like I've never seen dominates her stare, and my doubts about her wanting me, about this crazy attraction between us, disappear. With that one look she's torn down every wall around my heart. All my futile reasons to stay away from her are gone, replaced by this undeniable pull toward Jade Thirlwall. They simply don't exist anymore, and I realize I never had a chance against her. I open my mouth to speak but can't find my voice. I've never known this kind of feeling. It's heady and intoxicating, filling me with fear and excitement. She gently places her finger under my chin, pushing my jaw shut, and the perfect white teeth reappear with her warm smile.