Under the Twilight

~ Demi ~

The second the car jerked to a stop, my eyes shot open. Tyler slowly stretched in the driver's seat,  studying the vans which now surrounded us. Selena, although confused on what was happening hours ago, lay at my side peacefully asleep.

"Your cabin is just over that hill. This is where we part ways." The man shifted before pulling something up from the door as I studied him. Exhausted was an understatement. "First thing in the morning I want to meet both you and Shane at these coordinates." He slid the folder into my hand as I grabbed them. Selena told me to warn her when we arrived instead of carrying her, but I ignored that statement. It was hard to wake such a peaceful person. I carried her up the rocky hill. The darkness engulfing us due to the only light coming from the distance and the stars.

"Need some help?" I heard Joe question from behind me.

"Just get the door will you?" I signaled with my elbow as he did what I asked. Nick was struggling to climb the hill, but ignored his own pain as he persisted to walk alone. The cabin we now stood in was practically covered in dark cloths of reds and blacks.

"This place smells like its made of trees." Joe's nose scrunched up as his brother tapped the doorway. I slowly lowered Selena's limp body onto the sofa in front of me, backing away to join my friends.

"So we're training in the morning?" I questioned, creasing the folder I held.

"At five" Joe tapped the papers.

"That's so early." I whined.

"Get use to it. Starting in a few hours, I need you ready." Joe studied the cabin before walking over towards Nick. "Our place is just across that dark space there."

"It's all dark." I shook my head as the men made their way out into the night. With nothing better to do, I closed the door and trailed our new place. The walls were high up, windows were sparse. There was one room towards the back with a large bed and more dark fabrics scattered here and there. In the closet hung multiple black outfits. This place is depressing. I climbed into the shower allowing the water to wash away the long hours in the car. My hair brushed against my shoulders as I rose my fingers to study a few strands. Usually I'd have a short bob-like cut, but now the stands that once stayed stiff against my neck was growing. I quickly did what I had to do, washing my hair and body in the process. As I trailed back into the living room, my towel wrapped around my body, I found the sofa empty.

"Selena?" I quickly traced the space before I found the woman face first into the sheets on the bed. "Don't do that." I scolded her.

"When did we reach the cabin?" She asked through a muffled voice. Her face still planted between the covers.

"Just about an hour ago."

"Um-hum." She forced herself to sit up, her eyes red and heavy.

"You should get some sleep. I'll join you soon."

"We should talk." Her groggy voice filled the space as I continued to maneuver around the room. There was an endless supply of black shorts, pants, tanks, and hoodies. I grabbed a top as Selena spoke. "I get that we're here because people are after us. I understand that maybe there are things I will never get about this lifestyle. But Demi, I need you to start being honest with me."

"When haven't I been honest?" I faced her after dressing myself. I searched the room for a hairbrush, quickly brushing my hair.

"You're still keeping things a secret from me, when we're in this together."