There's No Tomorrow

~ Selena ~

     The moment I heard Demi get out of bed I wanted to just ignore it and head back to sleep, but something told me to follow. As exhausted as I was I stepped near the door and watched as she gazed in on Nick and Joe, before she traced her way into the other room. I Figured everything was fine and so I was off to bed once more until I heard Demi ask where Joe had gone. The only confirmation his brother spoke of was that he left. Lately Joe was a loose cannon when it came to the group, but I marched down the front steps just the same. He couldn't of gone far. I quickly slid on some sandals before marching out the front door. I was down the block in no time as I kept my eyes open for him. I didn't know how long ago he would have left out, but found myself standing at a crosswalk within seconds.

     The next thing I knew, a gunshot went off. I jumped, but thankfully, I hadn't froze. I rushed towards the sound as crazy as if seemed and found my way down the street where a muttered conversation was going on. He morning shots had to haven waken a few people up, but no one ever peered out their windows and questioned my hurried steps or the loud morning noise. I hadn't expected to see what I had. Joe, standing with his gaze in the distance, his stance that of a deer caught in headlights.

     "Hey." I called over to him, crossing my arms as he faced me. Another gunshot burst through the air as his head snapped back so fast I thought I'd see him lose it.

     "Some people are just shooting at bottles."

     "You can tell that just by listening?"

     He stayed silent for a moment as I joined his side. I was on the verge of hitting his arm when he continued on his journey forwards. "Don't follow."

     "Where are you going?" I questioned, ignoring his request and doing the opposite.

     He wouldn't speak to me, his heavy footsteps turning into halted ones. A glimmer of some kind of light flickered a few times in the distance before he held out his hand to stop me.

     "I'm done." His voice was almost hushed over the final gunshot echoing through the air.

      "Joe." I tilted my head although he hadn't looked back at me. "What are you doing?"

     "I'm giving my brother a chance." He found himself nodding his head as I studied him confused. "Take care of them for me."

     "What are you talking about?" I angrily questioned, moving into his field of view. He was hard like a rock, his features almost unrecognizable. "What are you doing?"

     "I'm buying everyone time." He ran his fingers through his brightly colored hair, possibly still annoyed that we created such a disaster on his head. Finally, he faced me, sure of himself and what he was going to say next, he didn't falter. "I'm an Agent. I will always be an Agent and that life back there..." he signaled behind us. "It's not for me."

     "So what are you going to do, just leave? Leave us? Leave your bother?" I searched the man's face for any sign of softness, but he was hard and cold. "You're just going to leave Demi?" Joe's determined glare answered my question. "She loves you."

      "Yeah. But she loves you more." He was holding back something in his eyes, I could tell just before he spoke once again. "There were still Agents watching the house, so I drew them out by walking out here alone. I wasn't sure if they expected us being in your home until I heard those gunshots this morning. It's a distraction tactic, one that's clearly working. No one is leaving their house and..."

     "Everyone around here are soldiers, or children of soldiers." I tell him. "No one is going to flinch by such sounds."

     "You see, it' the perfect cover to go and kill four people that aren't meant to be among you."