Chapter Four

Kurt and Georgina both arrived at the Motel in their shared work car. All black, the flashing police light turned off but sat on the dashboard inside the car. With two heavy sighs escaping their mouths, they exited the car and headed for the Motel.

The lobby was empty, the walls dark red and the glass door to the lobby had numerous cracks in it making the room slightly chilly. The large wooden front desk was in the centre of the room, covered in paper work and a small silver bell in front for visitors to signal their arrival.

Georgina was eager to meet the receptionist that claimed he spoke with Harry before finding out Harry's girlfriend was murdered. Georgina wanted to find out who this man spoke to, what they spoke about and who else was around the scene at the time.

"Hello, how can I help you today?" The receptionist smiled kindly. He was small in frame, small head but with very warm facial features.

"I'm detective Easton and this is detective Lawson, we're here to ask a couple questions," she pursed her lips before raising a perfectly shaped brow at the man. Kurt beside her already had out a pen and pad to write any information down. "Are you Mr Watson?"

"That's me, Sid," his voice quivered slightly from nerves, Georgina wondered why he was so nervous, it was simply a follow up.

"You were working the night Ruth Slater was brutally murdered. Am I right?" He nodded. "What were you doing around the time of the murder?"

"I was here," he mumbled.

"Did you see this man?" Georgina asked, holding up a very attractive mug shot of Harry Styles. Sid stared at the picture, analysing every aspect of it trying to remember if this curly haired man stood in front of him.

"Yes when he checked in, not later on," Sid responded finally. Georgina and Kurt exchanged glances between each other, as if asking aloud what the hell was going on. They assumed it was some kind of joke, the receptionist willingly made a claim that Harry was with him at the front desk when the murder occurred, now the detectives were receiving another statement.

"Mr Watson, I would like you to clarify what happened around midnight of September fourteenth," Georgina asked finally, ready to wrap this up and go back to the precinct and arrest Harry for murder.

"I was here at the desk, some man walked through - it wasn't that guy," Sid confirmed pointing his finger to the picture of Harry still in Georgina's hand. "He flashed me his key card and went on up. I didn't think anything of it, then a bunch of cops show up because someone's been murdered."

"Could you describe this man?" This is the first both detectives heard of someone else walking through the lobby at the same time of the murder, the arresting of Harry Styles would have to be put on pause until they discover who this new man on the scene is.

"No I didn't give him a proper look, all I can remember is he wore a suit looked very business like and was a lot older than both of you, and that guy," Sid said once more pointing to Harry's picture.

"Is there only one way to the hallway leading to the rooms?" Kurt asked, stepping closer. Sid nodded.

"Yes, just that door," he pointed in the direction of the door to his left. "Unless you climb the fire escape out back, leads you to the same spot as those stairs but you just avoid coming through here. But if anyone went up the fire escape we'd have seen on the CCTV footage."

Georgina couldn't help but roll her eyes and let out an amused scoff.

"Isn't it so funny that CCTV is angled to crop out four out of the ten doors on the top level," Georgina shook her head. "And it just so happens that one of those four doors, a brutal murder had occurred in," Kurt stared at her and nodded, also finding it rather odd. "Would you say that is a coincidence or very very ironic?"

"Is that all?" Sid stammered, feeling very uncomfortable under the green eyed stare of Georgina Easton.

"That is all," Georgina smiled darkly, her eyes holding a lot of authority as she tapped her nicely painted sharp nails against the countertop of the reception. The clerk scurried off towards the door leading to the top floor of the motel, taking one final look and hurrying up the stairs. Georgina's smile fell and her hand flatten out, making a quiet thud as he glared in the direction the clerk disappeared off too. "I do not think this a coincidence," she scowled, biting the inside of her cheek before meeting Kurt's gaze that was almost similar to hers. "Let's go, we have a lot to discuss with Mr Styles."

______________________

Republished: 10, Dec, 2018