Chapter Six

"So what do we have?" Georgina asked Kurt as he finished his background check on Bradley Watson. Georgina was confused about the Sid and Bradley mishap, Harry claims Sid was not actually at the reception when he was, yet Sid was willing to give CCTV - if there was any - to prove he was at the reception.

"Bradley Watson is Sid's brother," Kurt nodded, before getting ready to say more. "He on the other hand has an absolutely clean slate, never committed any crimes from minor to major. He's the one who made the claim that Harry Styles was with him the time of the murder - not Sid."

"Well now we need to find him and ask him his side of the story, and also find out why Sid may be lying about very important information," Georgina sighed. Standing to her feet and pulling her bomber jacket over herself, zipping it up half way to stay warm. Five hours remained until Harry was due to be let out and for some reason Georgina just wouldn't allow that, she needed full proof evidence -

"Easton! Lawson! We have the weapon!" A young police officer shouted as the ran after Georgina and Kurt. "There's no fingerprints but you'll never guess what else we found?"

"What?" Georgina asked, eyes examining the bloodied knife covered in a little bit of dirt that was in a large clear bag.

"A footprint, if you remember rightly Mr Styles had very muddy shoes, this could be that piece of evidence tying him to the murder you just need to find a flaw in his alibi," the officer said, hope glowing in his eyes. All the officers in the precinct made their bets on who the killer was, it was something they did for every case actually. This case was very diverse - half of the precinct bet on Harry being the killer and the other half said it was someone else.

"Oh trust me, we're one step closer to cracking this case," Georgina smiled happily, she was finally ready to close in and announce Harry as the killer. Little did she know in the next hour a new lead would be revealed...

__

"Are you Bradley Watson?" Kurt asked as the heavy wooden door swung open revealing a handsome older man with a very built up frame.

"That's me, I take it this is about that Harry kid?" He stood to the side letting both detectives walk inside before leading them to the kitchen. Both detectives took a seat opposite him before they were interrupted by another man; Sid.

"Ah just who we need to see," Georgina smiled, squinting her eyes at him as he stumbled over his words. "Bradley you claim to have spoken with Harry Styles at the time of the murder, is that correct?"

"Yes, I already confirmed this," he frowned finding it odd they were following up his statement, he had actually confirmed it twice for that matter.

"Well your brother, Sid, said he was working the same time and didn't see Harry and failed to mention you being there either," Georgina squinted her eyes at Sid who was shuffling around on his feet due to the awkwardness lingering in the air. "So can you explain the work schedule for me."

"Sid was working when that guy arrived with his girlfriend-"

"You know this because?"

"It was like six pm or something, I only do the late shifts and it's only us two that work besides the cleaner, but she only shows up for early morning shifts," Bradley clarified. Kurt was jotting it all down as the clerk spoke. "We changed shifts at about ten pm I think, I needed to call my girlfriend at one point so I made Sid go back out, but it was a couple minutes before I spoke with that Harry guy."

So Sid saw a man a couple minutes before the murder occurred, before Harry came down to speak to the clerk. So when Harry came down he wasn't seen by Sid but by Bradley. It all became a little more clear for Georgina and Kurt to understand at this point, except one part. Who was this unknown man that stayed in one of those four doors unseen by the CCTV? He was there at the time of the crime, whether he committed it or not he could've seen someone suspicious in that area at that time.

"Can you please describe the man you claim to have seen?" Kurt asked Sid, getting up a fresh sheet of paper and preparing himself to jot down as much detail that Sid could vividly remember.

"He was probably like in his mid forties maybe, he had brown hair, a business suit on," Sid bit his lip. "I can't remember much, I just know he was old enough to be that girls dad."

Georgina felt as though Sid Watson was holding back something, something potentially very important for this ongoing case. But she couldn't figure out what he would be hiding, and she knew damn well he wasn't going to say anything anyway.

She hadn't long left until she'd have to let Harry walk for insignificant evidence linking him to the crime. The stress Georgina Easton was feeling was slightly overwhelming but she needed to suck it up.

So far the suspects list was very short, which is a good thing. The longer the list the harder it is to knuckle down the killer.

- Harry Styles
- Will Jensen
- Mr Jensen
- Sid Watson (?)

The only reason Sid is on this list is because of his sketchy behaviour around the detectives. Georgina understood he could have had a bad meeting with police in the past and it's the reason as to why he is so quiet and seems to be hiding something, but she was being extra friendly. Or as friendly as she could be.

Mr Jensen was on the list because of his behaviour the night of the murder when Georgina visited him to speak with Will, who the detectives are yet to speak with actually.

"Thank you," Georgina said. Mr Jensen had brown hair and was in his early forties, but then again so was her chief captain Gary. This small detail couldn't help pinpoint who did it, so again, Georgina Easton was left with a dead end. "I'm going to need to take a copy of the check in page, I need to know who had a room key that night."

...

"Easton! Lawson!" Gary the chief captain called as he watched the two detectives walk through the precinct doors. "Styles has to be released now, unless you have new evidence to keep him here longer."

"No sir we don't," Georgina sighed. "I'll go and release him."

Georgina didn't want to, but she had no choice. Up until a very good plan popped into her head when she turned away from her chief and partner. "I have a plan!" She practically shrieked.

"And what's that?" Gary asked, genuinely interested. He saw Georgina as one of the best detectives in his precinct, she was always solving cases as soon as possible and ended up with a stack of theories which opened up new paths to new suspects. She was very good at her job, and when she had a plan it was usually full proof.

"We get Harry wired up and he goes to meet Will Jensen, maybe Jensen will say something that could link him with the murder."

Gary and Kurt shared a glance between them before Gary asked another question. "So you don't think Harry did it?"

"Considering the lack of evidence and his bang on perfect alibi, I don't think it could be him."

"Harry has a criminal record. He's been in many fights and had to be detained as he's caused serious injuries to people, I won't allow you to put Will Jensen in that situation," Gary said with a sigh. Georgina groaned, her once full proof idea just flew right out the window.

"Kurt! Do a background check on everyone on that check in list. See who everyone is and if anyone seems to be a potential suspect let me know," Georgina said as she hurried past other detectives and officers with Gary hot on her heels. She would just have to let him go, there was no other choices or plans left to be made. Harry would get to walk free, and neither detectives had any idea who killed Ruth Slater.

___________________________

A/N; I'm curious, who do you think killed her?

Republished: 10, Dec, 2018