-Chapter 1- «New York, New York»

"It's okay, honey. Go back to sleep. You'll be fine. I'll be fine. Sweet dreams... I love you."

I went out of my thoughts and I quickly hit the brakes, causing the car to make an annoying noise while slowly diverting off the road. This clumsy gesture made me lose the control of the steering wheel and I shut my eyes violently at the sight of a tree, thinking that there was no point of trying to escape from an accident.

The car suddenly stopped and I stood there for a couple of minutes, eyes still closed, deadpan.

My heart was beating fast as if it almost wanted to burst out of my rib cage and blow the hell up.

"Go back to sleep... Everything's going to be fine."

I softly opened my eyelids and my eyelashes were already moist with a couple of tears streaming down my face as my hands were still gripping the steering wheel, trembling.

I hurriedly grabbed my phone and called the closest mechanic garage to ask for help and they sent a worker to deal with the engine. I sat on the ground at the side of the road as I watched the stars in the sky.

How dazzling something can be in a gloomy area. It just goes to show how nature never ceases to amaze us.

I went back to my thoughts, reminiscing my childhood when my mom used to tuck me in bed and then grab my favorite book "The Little Prince" from the book shelf. She would sit next to me, put on her glasses and then start reading while I watch her with a fascinated look in my eyes, as if I never knew the story. She would stand up and swiftly kiss my cheek from time to time, still reading.

"You do know that the Little Prince's star is real and you can actually see it in the sky?" she used to ask me, softly smiling at me and I would nod with excitement. "You can pick one star and make it yours forever. It will always take care of you."

I used to smile at that statement because she always said it with convenience and I believed her for that.

"I don't need a star to take care of me. You're already making this job, mommy." I declared to her once. And, for a moment, I thought that I may have said something I shouldn't have because she stopped smiling, that night. She closed the book and put it back to its place after kissing my forehead and slowly walking out of the room. She didn't say "Goodnight".

"Mr. Montgomery, your car is ready! It'll be 50 bucks!" the mechanic guy yelled.

I snapped back to reality. A cloud passed by and hid Taylor, my star. I frowned at that sight because I always needed Taylor to look after me.

After brushing the dust on my jeans, I stood up then quickly grabbed a few dollars to give them to the guy. He thanked me then went on his way. I hit back the road as I got in the car.

The sun slowly took a peek as it started to rise. It was 6 am sharp so I shuffled my music library as I plugged my phone to the car stereo. It automatically selected "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin. My lips curved into a smile because it was my favorite song.

Not much of a road trip kind of song, but still.

I opened the car window and rested my elbow at the side. A cold breeze gently ruffled my hair as I was humming the lyrics of the song.

Fall was on its way in town. You know the drill: Tree leaves' color changing, sweaters and pumpkin spice everything.

Typical seasonal stereotype.

"Yes, there are two paths you can go by. But in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on..." I continued humming the lyrics.

Ironic it is, to sing those lyrics because I do know what I'm doing and I'm not going to change the road that I'm on.