-Chapter 13- «Not Like Mother, Not Like Daughter»

How to start a new day in a bad way? Very easy; with the washing machine that won't work.

I tried several times to turn it on but it kept beeping and making the red light flashing. The manual booklet wasn't much of a help either, considering the fact that there was only the Asian languages on it.

I pushed all of the buttons to see if it'll react but it only made things worse as a grayish smoke rose from one of the pipes with the powder laundry product that became pasty mixed with the water that was now dripping on the ground.

"Son of a..." I cursed, throwing my hands in the air before folding them while looking at the mess.

I, somehow, realized the only thing I was good at, when it comes to me living alone, was that I was good at cooking. Mostly, because I considered it as an entertainment and not as a drudgery.

I know that I'm not entirely settled and I did spend a lot of money for moving here, but I, sure as hell, need a maid to help me for the chores. Though, I'm pretty sure she'll run off the minute she saw what was going on in the kitchen.

There's no point of spending minutes looking at it, so I took the mop to clean it up.

While I was scrubbing, I started thinking about Garrett's visit, yesterday.

This was part of his plan; to make me think that he didn't have anything to do with Elizabeth's murder, right? There's no denying it, I will always suspect him.

My phone rang, making me get out of my thoughts and pick up.

-"Hey, Milo!" Harold greeted.

How cool is it that your boss nicknames you?

-"Hey, Mr. White!"

-"You're really pissing me off, Miles!"

-"Sorry... Harold."

-"I called you to confirm the DNA in the piece of fabric... It's definitely Elizabeth's. This means that it's the murder weapon." He announced.

As if I didn't already know.

-"Harold, I think that... I think that Patricia Finn, Garrett's mistress, is involved." I stated, after making a huge sigh.

-"How?"

-"He told me that she had a fight with his wife, the night of the murder. Maybe, she followed her at her place to end it up as well."

-"Did you have a conversation with her?" he asked.

-"No, I'm just waiting for the right time to collect enough clues about her."

-"You never cease to amaze me, Miles." He admitted with a loud laugh that almost pierced my ear, making me smile.

The weather was likely pleasant out there. No clouds to cover the vivid blue of the sky and the bright yellow of the sun. I was about to put on a coat and take a walk outside but something hit me. I have focused too much on Elizabeth's story but I never really paid attention on Alicia's. How was her family doing? Was her husband acting the same way as Garrett? Did I get enough information about her? Not really.

--

I was walking down the streets of Manhattan on a cold afternoon, squeezing my coat, feeling chilly than ever. I can tell my pale skin was dried as if it was going to crack in any second with my purplish lips trembling and my teeth chattering. Though, I tried to stop them because I always thought that I could likely break them in a million pieces.

The treadmill was slippery; it roughly made a reflection of the cloudy sky. It's a depressing kind of weather, even if I preferred fall over any other season. I felt like one of the puddles reflected my state of mind and I was not the only one to feel that way.