-Chapter 4- «Search Warrant»

The Queens' neighborhood was agitated with the confirmation from the police about Elizabeth Miller's murder. Take a walk outside and you'll hear the women gossiping about it. Garrett Miller's life has officially changed. He can't go out to buy the groceries without the media waiting for him downstairs to ask him some inappropriate questions, expecting some juicy answers. He can't work peacefully in his office without his teammates showing that they feel sorry for him by bringing him a cup of coffee and a shoulder to cry on, every single morning. He simply can't stroll in Central Park without passengers gazing at him then whispering behind his back. Sometimes, he would hear what they say and he wished he never did.

-"That's her husband... He looks creepy as hell."

-"They said that she killed herself because she was desperate about her marriage."

-"How can you not suspect your wife taking a bath at 3 am in the morning? What a good example of a 'perfect husband', if you ask me."

And so on and so forth with the crazy theories that people may invent to gloat about their 'cleverness'.

His kids were bullied in school. That's how dreadful our society became. They never know how much a simple word or insult can damage our minds and bodies. No matter how many times you try to conceal your sorrow by faking a smile and holding your head up high, you will never escape from your nightmares when you lay your head on the pillow. Monsters... They're all monsters. And for what reason? Making fun of two innocent children because their mother was murdered. You can't blame the young ones because they hear what their parents say so they imitate them.

Our sickening envy in bringing people down has reached the lowest point.

--

-"Kendall Jones, private detective. I'd like to see officer Parker." She greeted another police officer, showing him her fake badge. I frowned, not understanding what she was doing.

-"You never fail at making me laugh." He admitted, circling the counter and hugging her.

I glanced at his name when he broke the hug, "Larry Parker". Oh... Okay. So he's her friend.

-"It's been a long time, Ken!" he shouted.

"What? 'Ken'? Hey, that's my nickname!" I screamed inside. I clenched my fists, feeling the blood starting to boil in my veins.

He turned around and extended his hand to me that I shook for a couple of seconds.

He was tall, dark. With a pair of blue navy eyes.

If I recall, those were the perfect features in a man for Kendall.

-"You got me what I asked you, yesterday?" she asked, pouting her bottom lip. She knew that she was extremely cute every time she did it and that everyone liked it.

Larry smiled seductively at her as he handed her a search warrant for Garrett's flat.

-"Thank you... Let's go, Milo." She told me.

Kendall left the police station. I glared at Larry for the last time before following her.

--

-"He's nice." I pointed, out of nowhere, after ten minutes of silence in the car, not leaving my eyes off the road as I was driving.

-"Larry?" she asked, turning her head to face me to which I nodded in agreement. "Yeah, he's a great guy. I'm surprised, how can a guy like him be still single?"

I squeezed the steering wheel tightly after hearing her last sentence. "Why do you care? Do you have a thing for him?" I wanted to tell her but my conscience forbade me to get a single word out of my mouth as I tried to focus on the road rather than her opinion about her 'friend'.