-Chapter 12- «50 Shades of Garrett»

"Water. I need water." My brain demanded as I slowly opened my heavy eyelids, arching my eyebrows from the sunlight that shined my dry skin through the window.

Last night was a wild call; Kendall and I, as well as the rest of the group, left the club at 4 am, drunkard as hell.

I remember coming home, leaning on every wall of the apartment, cursing every time I tripped on an object and even throwing up in the kitchen.

I have promised myself that this was the last time I ever get drunk.

But hey, that's what you keep telling yourself after a party, always. That explained the horrible feeling of having a chalky mouth, right now.

I made my way to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth, as a way to erase any trace of hangover. Then, I headed to the kitchen to grab a glass of water; gulping it felt like my senses were being hydrated, as the liquid flowed colder than it actually is with the fresh taste of peppermint toothpaste still lingering on my tongue.

Waiting for my mind to process the whole situation, I noticed that I, indeed, threw up on the floor. The sight of it made me want to vomit again so I hurried myself to clean up this mess, mopping and waxing the wooden floor.

While doing the house chores, I started thinking about Kendall. Was she feeling grateful about the surprise? Did she have an amazing time, especially with me? I mean, I did.

It felt good to see my old friends-- like a school reunion party. It just goes to show that life really is short when you remember exactly what you were doing, the day you stopped seeing each other, twelve years ago.

And what about Larry? How the hell didn't I know that he was gay?

Either I'm not as clever as I think I am or he's very sneaky. To think that I was surprised to see Kendall dancing with him like that; Now, I know. She never mentioned it, though. Does that mean that she noticed my jealousy so she used it as a way to confirm it? I don't think so. I may haven't found out about Larry's sexuality, but I do know my old best-friend and I'm sure that she's still unaware of my feelings.

The good thing is now I don't have any competitor against me to woo her. I hate to say it like that but it was... Pleasurable?

-"Rise and shine, beautiful residents of the city that never sleeps!", a woman crooned on one of the radio stations.

It was 9 am; it's good to wake up early, after a dizzy night in hell, without feeling tired at all, even after only five ours of sleep.

I brewed the coffee beans before proceeding to bake some pancakes by putting the ingredients and the utensils on the worktop first, trying to remember my mother's famous recipe.

-"Your food tastes much better when you've got everything well organized in front of you." She used to say, pointing at me with her spatula.

Cooking used to be my favorite moment with her, when I was a kid. We would wear cook caps and prepare dinner, I mostly helped her with the dessert... She made me want to become a Chef. Gone were the days when I felt like the happiest boy on the planet.

-"The secret for making the perfect spongy pancakes is to separate the yolk from the egg white." I remembered the ultimate information.

Thanks, mom.

After half an hour, I poured the coffee in a vintage mug after topping my pancakes with maple syrup. "Bon appétit." I said to myself, taking the first bite of my breakfast which sent a shiver down my spine because it exactly tasted like my mother's. Those kinds of situations demoralize me instead of making me feel triumphant.