-Chapter 7- «Alice in Wonderland»

-"Bienvenue à La Grenouille, Mr. Montgomery! Table for two?" the old manageress exclaimed, smiling big enough to unconsciously reveal her obvious dental plate.

I spent the whole night trying to figure out what Alice Studman was doing inside the restaurant, a few hours before she was killed, right after the waiters finished their shift. It means that someone else was with her, otherwise we would wonder why she was alone late night, besides stealing the money in the cash register which I hardly doubt, considering her well financial situation.

My first theory was that it may have been one of the waiters who was working pretty late. This waiter could have killed both her and Elizabeth because she went for a walk after fighting with her husband so they could've had an encounter.

Or maybe it was simply a disturbed man who wanted to play a deadly game with the police.

-"No, I'm just alone for a quick lunch." I replied, smiling as well. "I'd like a table in the corner, please."

She nodded in agreement, taking me to a secluded table where I was seated. I took a look around, analyzing every member of the staff.

Everyone can be liable to suspicion, as if I didn't already know it.

I let my imagination run wild, trying to connect Alice to one of them. Was she meeting a friend? Or one of her students? Or, maybe, a lover? I wouldn't be surprised with the infidelity rate rising faster than the oil prices, to be fair.

-"Good afternoon, sir!" A French waiter with a very good American accent greeted, handing me the menu. He was about to leave when I called him out again, making him return to stand next to me.

I tried to read his features. He was young, probably twenty something, brown-haired and grey-eyed.

He could be one of her old students who was working here to pay for his college loan.

-"Last Monday, were you working late at night?"

I asked, trying to identify his reaction at that.

If he starts cracking his fingers or playing with his hands, it means that he's trying to hide something. If he doesn't look me in the eyes or scratch his head when he's answering, it means that he's afraid to tell the truth. But more important; if his pupils dilate or it takes him too long to respond, it means that he's definitely lying.

-"No, sir. I just started working here, as in today." He answered in all honesty, not showing any sign of those.

-"Okay, hum... I'll, I'll have that. And a bottle of water." I ordered, picking up a random choice on the card.

-"The Soufflé aux Épinards? Very well, sir." He took note while I gave him the menu back.

So we remove him off the list.

Another waitress, Mme. Fournier, passed by to take one family's order, not far from my table.

She couldn't be the murderer since the camera surveillance showed a shadow shaped like a man. Meanwhile, noticing how she was joyfully interacting with the family makes me think that she's been working here for so long now. Wherefore, she must have met Alice, at least once, since I've heard she was a regular customer.

She finished taking the orders and was about to pass by when I stopped her midway.

-"Would you like me to bring you something?" she offered by smiling cheerfully.

Like we've known each other for ten years.

-"I wanted to ask you about Alice Studman, the woman who was found dead behind the restaurant. Did you know her?" she stopped smiling after hearing my question.