Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The next few hours we were working in a comfortable silence, with Pandora as background music. I watched as Anabeth moved her stencil along her paper, adding different shades of grey in certain areas. Her eyes squinting at moments, and her nose twitched when she didn't like something. Her hair was tied up in a loose ponytail, with strands of purple and green curling around her face. It was about five in the evening and this girl was still sitting comfortably in my house, in my room, and I still didn't understand why?

"Ok, so what do you think?" she asked, showing me her sketch of my face. It wasn't quite finished, but it had the outline with shaded in areas. Overall, it was way better than mine.

"Wow, it's incredible. My face doesn't look like that at all, it looks kind of real." I admired. Anabeth has skills.

"What do you mean your face doesn't look like that?" She asked, frown on her face. Oh no, I insulted her work.

"No it's not bad, I just meant you added too many manly features. I sort of look... cool?" I whispered the last part, and immediately, my cheeks flushed.

"Cool? You think you look 'cool' here?" well, shit. Now she thinks I'm an egotistical jerk/geek.

"Umm... I uh..." I was speechless, I have no idea what to say in my honor.

"Let me ask you something, Percy?" she stood up and lifted me up with her. She took me to my bathroom and stood me in front of the mirror. I looked at our reflection. I stood about five inches taller than her, tall and lanky, black shaggy hair all over my face. My crooked glasses and my button up had two buttons loose and my khakis were now wrinkled. She was short, not too skinny and not fat either, which wouldn't matter. She had curves in all the right places and I wished so much I could pull her against me and feel her warmth surround me. She was wearing her same combat boots, tights, and band t-shirt, but she still looked beautiful to me. I looked at myself, then at her and realized just how different we really were. I had an overwhelming urge to leave and never come back because I realized how far it would be to dream for her to like someone like me. Now, when did I turn into such a sappy bastard?

"So you see us right? Now tell me what you see?" she asked.

"I see two completely different people who have never spoken to each other until today." I replied honestly, dejectedly.

"Really? Well, that is not at all what I see." She sighed and stood straighter. "I see two people that became friends in less than twenty-four hours, because we are friends. I see someone who already understands my art, my music and my dreams without even knowing it." She turned to face me and looked up at me "and I see someone who wishes so badly to be someone important that you don't notice you're 'cool' in your own way. Besides, you really think I would hang out with someone who I don't think is cool?"

My eyes were locked on hers, and my mouth slightly turned up with her attempt at making me feel better. "H-how did you know?"

"Because I see you, Percy" I looked deeper into her gorgeous grey eyes and was overwhelmed by the emotions I saw there. I never thought I would fall for someone so fast in so little time, but Anabeth riddled me speechless once again. I couldn't deny the emotions building up in me, and it was all because of her.

"I see you too. Your art is beautiful, and I'm not just saying that, I mean it. I know you're passionate about what you do, whatever it is because you don't care about what others think. You're a free spirit, Anabeth. And I think you're pretty cool too." She looked at me quizzically, her eyes narrowed and her eyebrow scrunched up. I worried I might have offended her.

"That is the most I've heard you talk," she finally said. I gaped at her.

"Did you not like what I said?" I asked nervously.

"Of course I did," she confirms, then turns and walks out to my room. Well, ok then. I guess no more talking for me.

When my mom calls us down to dinner, Anabeth packs up her things and we head down to the living room. "Aren't you staying for dinner, dear," my mom asked Anabeth.

"I'm sorry, Sally. I would love to but I have to head home, my parents would be wondering where I am."

"Oh well, you can come again some other time, I know I'll be seeing you more."

When my mom left, I walked Anabeth to the door. "Um, thanks for the help today. You can ignore my mom, she tends to get over enthusiastic."

"I like her," she replied shrugging her shoulders "And don't worry about it. By the way I will be coming to your house more often, since I'm your girlfriend," then with a wink and a smirk, she got in her car and drove off.