Extra

Their Year Apart (sort of)

Percy

You know how everyone says that senior year will be the highlight of your high school career and that it would a blast and that you will never forget it? Yeah, well... for me, it was anything but. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad by any means, I just sulked a lot... Like a lot.

All throughout high school, my only friend was Nico and occasionally Hazel, but they're my cousins, so they don't really count. I wasn't really bullied, not in the traditional sense, anyway. But I was ignored. I didn't really mind, since I always managed to bore the people who decided to grace me with their presence every blue moon.

That is why junior year was different, because out of nowhere I found a girl who didn't care about the outside, she didn't care about what others thought. She just got to know me and what she saw, she loved. With that, came more friends other than my cousins. But now, since my soul mate and said friends were off to college, I became a pouty teenager. I did have Hazel and Rachel to keep me company on occasion however. They had bonded over the summer a lot, since Rachel started dating Nico and now you could say they were best friends. Good news was that my final year of high school wasn't a total waste.

My shy-ness and geeky-ness never left me, however, and I never expected it to. But I had become more confident in myself, I guess having a girlfriend can do that to a person. At the beginning of the year, I decided to do some volunteer work in the local aquarium and ended up becoming friends with a guy named Tyson who volunteered there and went to school with me as well. He was a huge guy with a tough exterior but he is really just a goofball. I also managed to befriend a guy named Grover. He reminded me of myself actually, back when I was a shy geeky sophomore and I actually managed to bond well with him and prompt him to ask out the girl he was crushing on. The worst that could happen is she says no and laughs in his face, but there was also the possibility of her saying yes.

She, of course, said yes.

Overall, senior year was fun. I made new friends, participated more in class as well as school events. But I missed Annabeth terribly. The first few months, I saw her all of three times just because she was so busy settling in and getting the hang of her new environment. She even managed to snag a job in the campus music store, which she loved.

But the worst time we ever had was when we had our big fight. The hurt we suffered from the other was indescribable, and the words said in the heat of the moment will never be able to be unsaid.

But, somehow, we pulled through...

GGL

Around October, I became jealous over the fact that she was having so much fun, while I was over here moping and missing her. Let me explain...

"Oh my gods, Percy! My roommate Thalia is so amazing. She got tickets for us to go see Linkin Park this Saturday." Annabeth mentioned over the phone one Wednesday afternoon.

"What? I thought you were coming home this weekend? Remember we had a day planned?"

"Oh, shit. I'm sorry Percy. It's just that Thalia's dad knows their manager and got us free tickets and backstage passes. I couldn't say no."

I sighed, disappointed. "It's all right. I can probably make time to come over earlier then. At what time is the show?"

"Oh, um..." Annabeth paused for a long time, and I realized she didn't mean the tickets were for us. "Well, they're kind of for Thalia and me..." her voice was regretful, and maybe a little sad but I was too humiliated to care.

"OH, ok. That's fine. I hope you have fun. C-call me when you can," I rushed out.

"Percy, I'm sorry. I love you." Annabeth whispered, which only made this more embarrassing.