Three years earlier...

"(Y/N)!" You heard your mother calling from downstairs, waking you up from your sleep. At fifteen it was difficult to get out of bed in the morning, especially on a weekend when you wanted to just lie in. You signed heavily and got up, rubbing your head and rubbing your hand through your hair. You were tired still, having been up all night again. Turns out insomnia combined with video games wasn't the best for your sleep cycle, which was now non existent. "(Y/N)!" Your mother calls again.

"I'm up! I'll be down in a second!" You shouted down to her, smelling breakfast cooking down stairs. You quickly threw some pants on, as well as a dirty shirt so you could eat. You quickly jumped downstairs, moving as fast as you could. Your mother, an attractive woman in her late twenties, was standing over the stove cooking the flesh she had been given from Anteiku. She places the meat in between two pieces of bread, making a sandwich. She smiled as she saw you, handing you the plate. "Thanks mom."

"Morning (Y/N)." She said to you, starting to do some of the washing up. You ate your sandwich, eating the human flesh inside. You'd never had raw flesh before, your mom believed that it stopped certain instincts taking over. Puberty of course made you sexually mature like in humans, nothing strange there, except the part where puberty in general was strange. But it also began your transition from scavenger to hunter, where you started to kill for yourself. Ghouls were well know for getting obsessed with food, sometimes they lost their heads too. Once upon a time, your father had gone berserk over a binge, your mother didn't want to risk it happening to you.

"You want any chores done before I take off for Anteiku this afternoon?" You asked, always wanting to help out if you could. Your mother coughed loudly as she started her son sandwich, seeing as she had such trouble eating. Two years ago you'd both been attacked when you were out one night by another ghoul, he had physically ripped out her Kagune. As the kagune was the main engine of a ghoul, she never recovered. Her kagune never grew back, her healing factor was severely affected. She could barely heal even the smaller scratches, wounds that a human would survive would prove fatal for your mother.

You'd been paranoid ever since, any ghoul mcould smell she was weak from over a mile away. Just another reason you were greatful for Anteiku, since they offered protection too. Although they weren't making any great stands, they did make sure you were well fed and offered you both work.

Everyday your mother would work while you were at school, then she'd finish to tidy the house and you'd take over. The manager had been good to you, ever since your dad left you for a younger woman. You hated him for the heartache he'd caused your mother, for abandoning you with nothing.

"Just tidy up and wash the dishes please." She asked sweetly, kissing you on the cheek. "And get your homework done, anyway I'm going now." He waves you goodbye as she finished her breakfast, then left for Anteiku. You wished she'd waited for a bit, since you wanted to go with her. Now pa was gone, you were the man of the house. That meant looking after your vulnerable mother was your responsibility.

Of course your mother wasn't happy about being baby sat by her own child, although she did appreciate it. You figured it was unlikely she'd be attacked at all, ghouls were generally quite tame by comparison and as a result CCG had practically no presence here. Then again, better safe then sorry.

You out your empty plate in the sink, then went upstairs and got your headphones and phones. You preferred to play music when doing work, so you placed the headphones on your head and played your favourite song. You tuned the hot water tap on, as well as the added the washing liquid. After a few minutes you finished up, then tidied the house in less then half an hour. Two people made little waste.

You then went upstairs and hopped in the shower, quickly cleaning yourself. Hopping out you dried yourself with the towel, then brushed your teeth in the mirror. Your baby blue eyes stared back at you in the shower, your black hair was brushing over your eyes, probably time for a hair cut soon. Your skinny body looked like you needed to put some weight, but with eating cooked flesh combined with having to sick up normal food at school meant that you had little sustenance.