It was raining that day...

It was raining that day, you remembered sombrely in the years to come. It had been pouring all day when it happened, that was always something that stuck with you. For some reason that's all that mattered to you at the time, but then again rain does full a ghouls senses and your paranoia drove you to be on full alert. Having said that though you wished you'd relaxed though, but as usual you were focused on unnecessary security and since Toukas human friend was staying over you were constantly on guard for anything that you might let slip. Had you'd known what was to happen though would you have acted differently, you wished you would have just relaxed and the enjoyed the time you'd had that night. After all, it was the last time you'd ever sit down together...

Hinami had been overly excited for the release of some new book by her favourite author and wanted to go, so her parents had decided to take her out and treat her for a day. She had also asked for you and Shinsetsu to come too which you'd agreed since you wanted to give Hinami, who was somewhere between being a younger sister and a niece, a good day to remember. Touka and Ayato came along too since you were going out for a meal after going to see a movie first, you were sceptical it would go alright since spending the day with so many people would irritate you.

It turned out to be one of those days where everything turns out right, where nothing goes wrong and everyone enjoys themselves. The film turned out to be great despite being aimed at a younger audience since Hinami was only young, there was also plenty of popcorn and drinks that you all loved. Afterwards you had a lovely meal where lovely conversation was had by all, most it was of course talking to Hinami. But you and Asaki had a deep conversation about more intellectual things, Shinsetsu and Ryoko got to discuss motherhood and catch up, Touka and Hinami became friends and Ayato switched between everyone.

Later Hinami got tired and after getting her new book, went home with her parents. Shinsetsu decided to join them for drinks with her old friend, while you promised to get the Kirishimas home safe. It was late in the year so it was dark pretty soon, instead of going home straight away you were pulled away by Touka as she wanted to show you and Ayato something.

"Where you going Touka?" Ayato asked.

"You'll see." She responded.

"Your not going to quietly murder us are you?" You asked her.

"Not today no, but don't push your luck." She lead you to a large park where the lamp posts had all gone out, leaving it mostly dark. Climbing up to a small hill where a billboard covered most of the lights of the city, there was very little light in the area and it was difficult to see.

"This is definitely quietly murder us territory." You noticed. You also noticed that Touka sat down on the hill and lay down, beckoning you both to join her. Ayato and you shared a look of questioning suspicion, but both of you compiled of course and lay down beside her. It was only then that you realised what it was you were being shown, with the lights out from the billboard and the parks lights my working it was finally revealed what Touka wanted to show you.

Stars! They were brighter and more numerous then you'd ever seen! So many bright, magnificent stars lighting the heavens. "Of course." You gasped. "With so much brightness at night they were always drown out by the light pollution, I've never seen them like this before." Ayato was also spellbound as he lay there open jawed, drinking in the beauty and majesty of the sky. Touka meanwhile seemed to be taking joy in the happiness that you and Ayato felt in gazing at the stars. You stayed out for another hour trying to form patterns and maybe create some new consolations, the conversation was light hearted and cheerful. Or at least it was, until things suddenly became more serious.

"You know..." Touka mentioned. "When I first came to Anteiku, I hated every minute of it. Sure Shinsetsu was nice but it wasn't home, you weren't family. I always wished that pa would come back to take us home, but while I still wish he'd comeback I would prefer him to stay at Anteiku. Mr. Yoshimura, Shinsetsu and of course you (Y/N), made this place my home. Thank you."