Nightmares

Just past seven Giddian came bursting through the door. Even though the evident mask he was trying to build, you could see plain as day the panic he was in.

"Let's go riding!" he rushes out.

"What's your problem?" I ask.

"What can't I spend quality time with my baby sister?" He asks nervously.

"Okay let me just change"

"NO!! I uh.. I mean.. you look great, fantastic even. Let's just go before it gets too dark" he rushes out.

"What about Evelyn? shes going to be pretty upset if we leave her." I say

"She's out with her Nurse" he says in a strained voice.

"Okay... Then let's go"

Taking my arm he practically drags me to the stables. Instead of mounting my own horse he hoists me up on to his own. His horse Ivan was a retired war horse making him very fast. Swinging up behind me he shouts a command and we're off faster than sound it seems.

It seems like we ran for miles until Ivan eventually slowed. We jump down together and head for our childhood tree house. Climbing rung by rung I reach the top and crawl in. Sitting in the corner looking at a Robin feeding her babies. Giddian plopped down next to me.

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask.

"Listen Ila you need to wake up. You have a kingdom to rule. Stop blaming yourself for not being there." Giddian's face morphed into the one of my fathers.

" There was nothing you could do. In fact if you were there you would of been killed as well. I thank God for Giddian. He know what he's doing, give him a chance he knows what's best for you and your sister." he reasons.

" But he treats me as If I were a child Papa" I say.

His deep rumbly laugh explodes in the air.

"Oh darling aren't all brothers supposed to?"

"No" I say stubbornly crossing my arms.

"Everything will work out darling, give him a chance. He knows what he's doing I promise"

"How do you know?" I ask.

"You forgetting something" he says.

"What?" I ask.

"He's my son silly" he smoothly says.

"Oh dad" Flinging my arms out to hug him they go right through as if he were a hologram.

Looking closer I notice the edges of his body seem to blur into the air and he slightly shines like silver.A crack appears on his forehead and his nose chips off.

"What's happening?!" I cry.

"Im just a figment of your consensus love, I'm not real " He says as if he was stating the obvious.

Just as he said this his eyes start to crumble away.Falling away like dust from a rug.

"I love you Daddy" I manage to say through tears.

The image of my father starts to crumble. It manages a smile before it falls to dust.

As if on cue the colors of the dream melt together like candle wax. Running and smearing go the colors till they're all just a dirty brown and shatter like glass. My eyes fly open and I am suddenly transported into the place that has become my reality.

"MAMA!" comes a scream through the door.

Flinging the blanket off I roughly rub my face of tears with the heel of my hand. And swiping my sweat drenched hair from my forehead. I opening the bedroom door I hurriedly walk up the winding stairs to Evelyn's room. God knows Giddian wouldn't hear a sound through his symphony of snores.