Paralyzed

Waking up motionless on the hard cold ground with a slight amount of light streaming through a small barred window. I try to sit up but as if paralyzed I can't even twitch a muscle. My forhad is dried with flakes of deep red blood and my back is numb. I open my mouth to speak but once again like my dream not a single word escapes. The only movement I make is the twitch of my eyes. Peeking through my eyelashes I am able to see there is another cell next to me. Thanking god for the meantime there wasn't any screaming. It took me a moment to realize there was a man in the cell next to me. Staring for another moment I could see it was Timothy.

He was slouched against the corner closest to my cell. Unable to move I just lie on the ground and stare above me. Thinking about my life the pat weeks. My parents are dead. We were overthrown. Evelyn I don't even know if shes dead or alive. And Giddian, Oh Giddian. He wasnt even my brother. Just an imposter. My whole life a fraud a fake. A small shuffle of a door draws me from my thoughts. A short burly man with a red beard and green eyes comes teetering in.The walks to my cell and gently opens the door.

"Miss?" He squeaks in a raspy voice.

Unable to respond he walks toward me and crouches down.He waves a hand in front of my eyes to make sure i'm awake.

"Oh miss!" he bellows. thus causing Timothy to stir.

"Im so sorry miss If I don't do as ordered my family will be punished.Your parents were always so kind to me im terribly sorry your highness for what I have to do." He mumbles miserably.

"Please forgive me" He pleads.

Unable to answer him, He gently scoops me up and carries me out of the door. The man moves his head ever so slightly to my ear as to not bring unwanted attention as he speaks. With a gentle breath he says,

"I heard the guard in charge of you last night talking to his friends after his shift. He said you turned hysterical and hit your head. But he never said he hit you."

Still unable to answer. He continues with his story of the accounts the night before.

"After he left for the night I was assigned this level to guard. The man in the cell beside you was yelling that you were hurt. I ignored him at first not knowing who you were. They had said you des the night of the fire. Finally around four he was begging for someone to check on you. I went in to see what the matter was and you were covered in blood. You weren't moving and your neck was swollen. I called the prison doctor straight away. He arrived moments later thinking it was an attempted suicide. He was only in your cell for minutes when he declared you you were clubbed in the neck. He said you could be partially paralyzed due to the force of the hit. Unfortunately he couldn't get a thurral exam done without moving you to the hospital in the castle. But it was destroyed in the fire and you are a prisoner so it couldn't be possible to take you up there. All he said was that it could be temporary or permanent. He said in time you might be able to move your upper body or nothing at all." He rushed out as he climbed the stairs to the prisons entrance gate. As we reached the metal gate he tossed a gray wool blanket over me.

"For your protection your highness. If the people see you're alive they might try to kill you thinking you were an ally to the betrayal of the crown." He whispers.

Shuffling me to his other arm as If I weighed nothing he stretched an arm out to open the gate. It squeaks and rattles in complaint. He swiftly walked through and enters the street. I can hear children crying and adults complaining quietly. For fear of punishment they keep their voices low and steady. He continues his pace till he starts pushing through a crowed of people. Through the thick blanket I could still see the bright light of the noon sun overhead. Nobody gatherers in the square at this time of day unless there is an.................................. execution.