VII - Reality

Earl POV

As I was completing some paperwork in the laboratory and Kane was surely in the gym, some ruckus disturbed the tranquility of this place. Since Heather went to see what it was, I didn't bother to pay more attention to it. The paperwork wasn't going to be finished on their own. Plus, I had enough distraction like that. It was a good thing my main distraction wasn't here. I started to realize that maybe, and I said maybe, Kane enjoyed seeing me suffer under his constant teasing. If it was even considered teasing.

Anyways, back to wo-...

"Earl!" called Heather making me growl in annoyance. I would never finish if things continue like this.

"What?" I answered angrily.

"It's... He's he-..." before she could finish her sentence, a young man slammed the door open and stomped toward me.

Great, that was exactly was I needed. I mentally prepared myself for his attack. I was about to greet him, but he didn't even give me the chance to.

"I don't want to hear what you're going to say! It has been three years! Three fucking years! When are you even considering coming back? You can't disappear into thin air like you did years ago!" the small man snarled hitting his finger on my chest.

"Calm down," I started to be yet interrupted.

"Calm down?! I was calm for three years, and now I have the right to be angry!" he shouted attracting a growing crowd.

Two policemen charged to watch the HQ came to calm the young man down. I tried to warn them, but it seemed like today no one decided to listen to me. And as expected, two bodyguards appeared out of nowhere restraining the policemen.

"Sir, you are not authorized to walk in here without an authorization. I'll ask you to please follow me," explained one of the policemen even though he was restrained.

"If you don't shut up, I'll make sure you never work ever again," the younger man threatened the policeman.

And that made them look incredulously at each other. I sighed.

"It's okay, he's with me. Here are the visitor's documents that you need," I took the file before giving it to them. They thanked me before walking away. "Come with me, we will fall somewhere more private."

For once, he didn't complain and followed me into my room as the crowd separated like the Red Sea. He sat down on my bed and crossed his arms waiting for me to explain.

"I thought we agreed that you were going to take care of it until Dad completely retired?" I started as I sat on a chair.

"If I knew what you were up to, I wouldn't have..." he grumbled as he glared at me. He sighed, "I did and he's already retired for a little more than a three years..." he stopped before changing his tone, "and died last year," he answered with dead eyes, but I could still see a spark of my little brother's deception, sadness and anger in his eyes.

"Why didn't I know about this?" I crossed my arms as I felt anger invading my body. "How come I didn't know about something this important!" I roared as I slammed the desk with my fist.

"You should ask your secretary," he shot back and went to pout. He was talking about Heather, and she was sure to hear about me. She better had a good reason to not inform me about this.

I sighed, putting my anger aside... For now, "I can't do anything about it now. I started a new project and I can't back up from it. You'll have to bear it until then."

"Fine, but..." he stopped talking as the bathroom door opened revealing a half naked Kane. The atmosphere changed a whole 180 degrees. I gulped and looked away to hide my blush from them. "Well, well, well. Who is this brother?" he smirked as he eyed the half naked man up and down. "Why are you half naked in my brother's room?"