XIX - History part 1

Kane POV

Earl held a few other meetings with the Russians in the following days all to attempt to solve the riddle. I wasn't surprised that they couldn't solve it since multiples answers can be given. But, the one that will fit perfectly with this case was time. Time was the answer to everything.

I sat in a corner of the table unmoving. Pointless. They will never solve it this way, but I can't help. My body can't defy the orders. I looked at Earl as he listened to Heather with his brows frowned. Everything in him was only for the sake of the appearances. This man had so many loopholes in him that it was obvious the first time I saw him. Yet, he still managed to fool everyone else. He was making progress, but he wasn't there yet. If only he knew what we went through, he wouldn't wish for it. But I won't refuse him, I'll perfectly execute the orders given to me.

I'll not fail another time.

"Kane, what do you think about it?" Earl asked as I didn't bother to hide the fact that I was staring at him.

A hint won't hurt, "Try another approach."

"What?" he looked confusingly at the paper on the table with the riddle written on it.

I heard the two foreigners whisper at each other in russian, "кто это он?" said the woman. (Who is he?)

"он это один из три, помнить?" either her husband or brother answered. (He is one of the three remember?)

"делать вы думать что он будет, вы знать?" (Do you think that he will, you know?)

"никогда, он не может. теперь, тишина," (Never, he can't. Now, hush.)

An hour and a half later, the meeting ended with no real progress. Like Aaron, they refused to give another family name which made Earl frown in annoyance. Even if, he didn't obtain the results he wanted, he said he would help the Nikolaev gain back their former glory. With that, the Russians went back to their country.

"You don't look satisfied," I said as he still had a frown on his forehead.

"Of course, I'm not," he groaned unhappily. "I paid them for what? A riddle!" he turned so we were looking at each other eye to eye.

"It'll be clearer soon," I added making him sigh.

"Why don't you just tell me what you know?"

"It's classified information," I automatically answered before I could think something else.

He sighed again, "I know it is, but what is this badge supposed to mean then?" he showed me the piece of golden metal that the Anderson gave him.

"Access to only a part of it."

"Kane, whoever forced you into secrecy are dead now. Only their descendants remain and it wasn't with them that you promised," I looked at the man in front of me as he continued to talk some sense into me, but it was no use. I couldn't hear what he had been saying. I could only hear a deafening buzz. "So, tell me... Please."

I knew that Earl had been the one that woke me up. He had been taking care of us. No one ever treated us like this. Not that I could remember, so it was thousands of years before. Even if I wanted, my body and mind wouldn't obey me. It will act accordingly to the orders of the last king or leader of their realm. I needed a new King, so the orders of the last one may be ignored. Yet, I couldn't tell him that, he needed to act like it. That's why...

"Answer me, Kane!" Earl snapped his fingers in front of my eyes making me snap out of my trance.

"Are you alright?" This kindness. I had missed it. "Don't tell me you'll faint on me again? Kane? Kane!" he shouted my name, but I couldn't, what was this sensation? It was overwhelming. "I'm bringing you to the pool! Mark, help me."