XII - In Conflict

Earl POV

I was in a room disturbingly too white and too clean when I woke up. I couldn't really move my neck without it hurting.

"Well, that sucks," I mumbled to myself, but at least I could freely move everything else.

What was more annoying was that I could barely see around me by only moving my eyes, but it was enough to know that I was in the infirmary. I wondered why every single one of the hospital or infirmary rooms were white.

I patiently waited as I laid here on the uncomfortable bed as I thought about what last happened. The only thing I could remember what the embarrassing meltdown I had in front of Kane and that he was holding me by the neck. That bastard, what did he had with my neck? But the facial expression he had was something I never saw on him before. It was creepy and strange, but at the same time, it was... I wouldn't say comforting, but definitely sexy. I just liked it more than his poker face.

I must be abnormal to think that he sadistic expression was sexy and comforting...

More I thought about him more I remembered those eyes... Where did I saw those before? Nah, impossible. I didn't think they were related and I doubt they even met each other, but... They may have. The Anderson clearly stated that he didn't want the three subjects to fall into the hands of the army, so they should have met. I would have to ask Kane later, I had to know!

"It seems like you're awake," said a familiar voice as Anderson sat on the chair beside me. Immediately my mood became sour. What was he doing here?

"What do you want?" I grumpily asked as I looked at the ceiling.

"When I heard that you fainted, I came here running of course," I didn't even need to look, I knew he was smiling. "And to see how much you learned since last time I saw you since someone doesn't answer my calls."

I huffed annoyed by his fake concern and mostly his nonstop talking. "As you may have noticed, nothing worth telling you."

"Then I guess you'll be happy to hear that I'll be leaving here for a few weeks," he was now smiling like the Cheshire Cat. Please someone tells me that it was a joke. "I'm serious, this case matters for my Family and the world. I would be the biggest idiot to let you make an error after all my ancestors did."

"Fine, just sleep in the same room from last time," I said as I coughed. My throat hurt each time I spoke and breathe.

The doctor in charge came into the room a few seconds later with the usual white lab coat, the glasses, the stereoscope and the brown pad for him to write. He smiled when he noticed that I was awake, "I'm glad to see you awake Earl. I was wondering what would happen to the research if you would have withdrawn."

"Y-you talk as if I slept for a month," I managed to say since my throats were aching and sore.

"You did," answered Aaron as my head snapped to him making me groan.

"You're not serious. It's impossible, I cannot have been out cold for more than a few hours after being strangulated," I looked at the doctor, but he stayed silent. Since he didn't speak, I started to imagine the worse. "Kane, how about Kane?" Please, please I didn't want to hear that the young Anderson put him to the comatose state that we first found him.

"Calm down Earl," stated the doctor as he checked the machines near me. "You were only sleeping for two days and it was intentional. If I didn't do that, your throats wouldn't only feel sore. I let you sleep for two days, so your body can heal faster or so to say."

I sighed in relief and glared at the man sitting beside me. I relaxed a little and suddenly felt heavy and an irrepressible urge to sleep. The room started to blurry and I faintly heard the doctor said that I needed rest and kicked the young man outside. I managed to chuckle a little before falling asleep.