Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Megan

there's party in d frat haus, u coming?

She had been sitting next to the window for five minutes now. Isabella's car was parked at the curb opposite their building, waiting for her to come out of her shift.

The text was sent hours ago, but she didn't respond. That was because aside from being busy with work, she was also hoping that they would take the hint. To her surprise, though, Isabella texted again that she was coming to YPCA to get her.

Oh, joy.

She didn't want to talk to them, nor did she want to go to that party. She was sure that when she passed up on the invitation, they'd just push further, wanting her to face the situation with Aaron. And to see that she couldn't just leave her old way of living, just because he was still living in the same way.

Megan's phone rang in her hands. She hesitated to answer. But then, when she peered outside the window, Isabella's already halfway on the street, phone on her ear. "Hello?"

"You done for the day?"

"Ahh, n-not yet," she stuttered. "Still sorting some paper works."

Isabella was quiet for a long moment. She looked at her phone to see if the call dropped, but it didn't.

Tok. Tok.

A knock on the window jolted her out of her bubble. Her hand found her right chest to calm her racing heart. She turned slowly. It's not what I think it is. It's not who I think it is. Apparently, bad luck was on her side as she was face-to-face with Isabella's grinning face. Isabella waved at her coyly. "Ready?"

"I don't wanna go," Megan whined into the phone.

Isabella wasn't deterred. She leaned against the window, facing her. "Time to put on your big girl panties. What's the worst thing he can do, anyway? He already did the worst-est thing possible and we already moved past that."

Megan bit her lip. "I still don't want to go. I'm exhausted already. I just wanna go home and rest."

Her friend rolled her eyes. "It's a Friday night and we just overcame hell week. Don't you think it's time to celebrate?"

She thought it over. "I'd love to if it's not in the frat house."

Isabella pursed her lips, looking at her with narrowed eyes. When she found what she was looking for, she finally sighed in defeat. "Fine, where to?"

"How about Lux? Heard they renovated the place. I'd been wanting to check it out."

"We'll talk about it when we're breathing in the same space. It's kinda getting awkward standing here. Pretty sure the man across the street thought I'm going to bomb this place or something."

Megan tilted her head. "Why, you don't look suspicious," she teased, eyeing Isabella's dark sunglasses and black, long-sleeved jumpsuit.

Isabella rubbed her forehead with her middle finger and smiled sweetly. "Thanks. Next time, I'll wear the price tag around my waist." She leaned into the glass and placed her palm beside her lips—as if whispering. "Now go here. I think he's already calling 911."

x.x.x

Strobe lights stroked the crowd as it swayed in time with the music.

Megan, Isabella and Autumn pushed their way through the glistening bodies, their hands clasped with each others. The nightclub was packed and Megan was sure it was just the beginning of it. It was only nine in the evening and they could barely get through. Not that she wasn't expecting this challenge when she suggested this place. Lux was a very well known nightclub in the Upper East Side, especially to college students.