Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Wade

Two hours. Two dreading hours and his car finally arrived.

He closed the tabs on his laptop and cleared his table. Rianna informed him using the intercom that Carmichael had checked in at the receptionist downstairs and was now riding the elevator. He didn't know what to expect from this, but it was going to end up with a 'yes'.

A light knock echoed from the door. The sliding door opened slowly. For a measly moment, he forgot how to breathe. She was as beautiful as he remembered. Only now, she wasn't wearing something that entertained any normal man's fantasy, but he didn't consider himself a normal man. A loose, knee-length, peach dress and flats actually made him wonder what was underneath. She looked soft and fragile without those heavy eye shadows and lipstick on, but he quickly reminded himself that she was still quite a tigress two days ago.

"You didn't strike me as girly, Ms. Carmichael," he said as he gestured for her to sit down. Her eyebrow shot up. "You wore peach at the party, too. I wouldn't be surprised if your closet is full of ribbons, unicorns, glitters—" he waved his hand "—and all the other sparkly shits you girls are going crazy about."

She gave him a pointed look, "For starters, I am a girl. Second, my closet is a closet of a woman, not a five-year-old. Third, did you invite me here to farm for ideas for your clothing line, pretty boy? Or am I just here to hear you rant about your sexist views?"

His jaw tightened. Great impression right there, Wade, he mentally scolded himself. "No, and I told you to stop calling me that," he muttered but she only smirked. Sighing, he forced himself to stay calm. "How are you, Megan?"

Her head tilted. "I'm good...? And you?"

"Fine." Cue awkward silence. Deciding he didn't know how to make a casual conversation, he goes straight to the point. Business. That's why she was here. And business did not include catching up. He propped his elbow on the table and directed his gaze on her. "What's up with you and Bryan, Megan?"

Seeming unperturbed, her forehead creased, "I think that's none of your business, Mr. Simon."

"Wade is fine." He pointed a finger at her and gestured to the papers he pulled out earlier. "There's a deal I like to propose to you, but I want to know what's the deal between the two of you, first." She looked hesitant, so he continued. "You seem uncomfortable when he showed up. Why are you so scared of him, Megan?"

That got her attention. She straightened up and looked at the paper suspiciously. "I'm not scared of him. And I was hoping we'd get to the point why am I here first, before getting to know each other?"

The side of his mouth arched, "I just said I have a deal for you."

He watched as her face flushed crimson. "What are you proposing, Mr. Simon?"

"Wade is fine," he repeated. "What is going on between the two of you?"

Her mouth twitched into a frown. "He liked me. I don't like him. He tried to change that. I hated him for it. The end."

He sighed, then leaned against his seat. "Fine, that's how we are going to play. All right. It's on," he started. "This deal—" he gestures to the papers, and pulled it to him. "—is going to free you from Bryan or help you forget your ex. Sign it. And I promise to take care of you and your needs."

She leveled his stare, challenging him, as she leaned closer. "I'm not even going to ask how you assumed that I have an ex I haven't forgotten about. Instead, I'd like to know what this deal consisted of?"

Wade took the challenge and mimicked her move, "Tell me about the feud then I'll lay it down for you."

She glared and sagged against the chair. Crossing her arms, her jaw tightened. "What I said earlier, that's about that. He liked me a lot—his word not mine— that he tried to meddle with everything in my life, even though it wasn't needed. Suffice to say, he ruined a lot than really helped."

Wade couldn't hide his surprise. He didn't guess Bryan's attraction with Megan extended so much, as squeezing him in her life even though the woman obviously didn't need it. That was a downright obsession. He wanted to know more. Daniel had a lot to say about the matter, but the details were scarce. Though, he had lots of time to get to know her if she'd agree.

He pushed the documents to her. "Open it," he ordered. She hastily unfastened the ties securing the folder and pulled out the files. He drummed his fingers, as he waited for her to read everything through.

Her eyes bulged as she read the first contract, and then the other, then the other. Her eyes growing wider each time, her back turning stiffer, her grip on the papers going tighter. "Are you kidding me?!" she asked, her face turning pink. He controlled his expression as she struggled to take in what he's proposing.

"No," he said calmly. The last thing he wanted was to scare her away, but the alarm bells picked up as she turned more frantic. Disbelief sketched its way on her face. Wade began to explain, "Deep breaths, Megan. It's just papers —"

"Just papers?! These papers are basically asking me to give controls of my life to you for a year!" Her stare at him was fierce, daring him to twist her words, but Wade remained silent. "This is a shitty kink, Mr. Simon. And no offense, but I am against this type of relationship. My advocacies and moral standards are opposed to this."

He was losing his patience. If Carmichael would calm herself down no longer, there would be no more Mr. Nice Guy. And he couldn't have that. He forced himself to relax his countenance, determined to soothe her nerves. "None taken. Why don't you calm down so we can discuss it more professionally?"

Her jaw dropped. She straightened her spine, her face going emotionless in a second. "I'm not going to discuss this any further," she said and lightly threw the paper back to him. "I'm not going to sign any of that. Don't you have regular floozies to willingly agree to that? I'm sure you have a lot to pick on."

Megan shifted uncomfortably. The tension easing to a less suffocating level. Wade threw himself against his chair, twisting it left and right slightly, as his eyes twinkled. He watched her intently, "I do. But I wanted you." Slowly, her gaze rose to meet his. "Now that we are relaxed, why don't you review everything overnight and then we'll discuss it tomorrow again? Thoroughly, Megan. In that way, you'll have time to analyze and figure out that I'm giving you lots of rights."

"I don't think so—"

"We'll meet tomorrow for dinner," he interrupted, an edge of finality in his tone.

x omg. x