Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Wade

"This is my daughter, Sophia," the man introduced and pushed a tall, redhead woman forward. "She's working in one of my advertising agencies. She only graduated this year, but she's been doing an excellent job."

Wade raised a brow and smirked. He had endured lots of bullshit for the night but this one amused him. "Yeah? What's her job title exactly?"

Sophia grinned, seeming too pleased by his reaction, no doubt thinking he was impressed. But truly, he wasn't. "I'm the team leader. Our team has been trusted to advertise the launch of a new product of this famous company. Like, it's great, isn't it?"

He nodded, "Well, good luck with that." He proposed a toast and turned his back. "Advertising is trickier than product planning. Start soon before someone beats you on it."

He tried to mingle and get to know them first-hand but it didn't work. His mind was wrapped around Megan Carmichael. Daniel said she was pursuing her Master's degree while working as a Psychologist's Assistant. Hardworking. He said she was the closed-off and more serious type of friend. Not talkative and bragging, that's good. He said she was a relationship type of person. Not good, but all right.

He didn't need any strings attached after he finally laid his hands on Simon Inc. But who Megan Carmichael was, was in the ratio of 3:1. In business, that was a great equation. The benefits outweighed the odds. Who would deny taking it? A fool. Business was his game and he only needed to play his cards carefully, effectively dismissing emotional investing to avoid the strings ready to be attached at the end.

He was finally tired of stalling. He wanted to get a taste of the woman whom he planned to be his wife.

He found her sitting on a sofa beside another brunette, across Daniel and whom he guessed was Bryan's sister, Isabella, at the corner of the room. She was wearing a peach satin dress, with a halter neck and crisscross back, revealing a smooth trail of flesh until right above her butt. It was short enough to show her short legs, which appeared longer because of her killer heels. She had pale skin that glowed under the lights flashing her body. It looked soft and he briefly wondered what would her body feel under his rough, calloused fingers.

She is fucking beautiful.

A sly grin spread over his face as he began to take the short trek between them. He sipped his wine, hoping that it could shuffle the words he had in mind for a bit. For once in his life, he didn't make time to think about what should happen and what shouldn't.

Wade was halfway through when his friend turned and caught his eyes. Daniel's posture turned rigid and it wasn't long when the women he was with followed his gaze. The brunette beside Megan gasped. He turned his head toward Megan.

Her fingers clenched the skirt of her dress as her lips slightly parted. She stared directly into his own blues, biting her lips as if she didn't know what to do—whether to keep looking or turn away. She found him attractive, good for her. He nodded at Daniel who stood up and sauntered towards him. Daniel grabbed his arm to stop him before he could reach the women. His smoldering gaze pinned him, daring Wade to protest, but Wade knew his limits so he stayed put and kept his smile. He was calm as a hawk ready to catch its meek prey and Daniel couldn't seem to decide whether to be irritated or play along.

"Don't even think about it," he warned with an edge Wade didn't think he was capable of.

Wade patted his arm reassuringly, "No dirty tricks," he promised and sashayed toward the sofa.