Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Megan

Good day, Ms. Carmichael.

Mr. Simon would like to inform you that your ride will arrive at exactly 6 pm tonight to drive you to the hotel.

- Rianna O' Shea,

A light knock echoed from the living room. Her heart beat generously against her chest. She glanced at her silver watch, biting her lips, as she realized that the shorter hand was already pointing straightly downwards. It was time.

"Just a sec!" she shouted and swiped a peach lipstick on her lips. She pouted at the mirror, pleased with her natural glam look. Standing up from the vanity table, she turned to the full-body length mirror and smiled in satisfaction.

The ends of her usually straight hair were curled into soft, big waves, framing her almond-shaped face dramatically. She wore a silk gray dress—with thin straps and low-neckline—that cascaded until right above her knees, accentuating her small waist and wide hips. She scrutinized her front, suddenly contemplating whether it's too revealing or not, as a generous amount of cleavage peeked out. She completed the look with gray lace-up heels.

Grabbing her pouch, she walked out of the room and straight to her front door. "Sorry, I'm—"

Her apology was cut short, her jaw slacked, as the person who knocked came into view. She forced a wide smile, "Isabella! What are you doing here? It's nice to see you."

Her friend's brow shot up, "Love your highlighting skills, girl. Going somewhere?"

"Ah, yeah, well. Obviously." Isabella didn't speak. She let out an exasperated sigh, glaring at her friend for showing up unannounced. "I have an appointment."

"Appointment?" The words drawled out rather smoky from her red lips.

Megan licked her own. "Yes. Any problem with that?"

She wasn't exactly lying. The dinner was only a business charade for Mr. Wade Simon to talk about his obnoxious, manipulative proposal. At first, she hesitated, but something in it made her curious. It wasn't only about getting a break from Bryan or forgetting about her ex. She was dying to know what else was in the deal he was proposing.

"Cheeky." Isabella sighed. "Walk me out, though?"

Megan's eyes narrowed to slits. While Autumn was the cunning one in their trio, Isabella was someone who would never stop until she appeased her curiosity. It was disconcerting that she let this go just like that. So she decided she wasn't going to ask why Isabella was there that night.

Isabella blew a breath. "Oh, don't look at me like that. We are best friends but that doesn't mean I don't know how to give you your personal space, yanno?"

She smiled. "Thank you, but this is nothing really."

"Keep telling yourself that. You look like you're ready to pounce on a schnitzel."

Megan blushed scarlet. "That's so weak. I was expecting something better like, one-eyed monster, at least." Isabella let out a rich laugh. "But no, I'm not going to pounce any schnitzel. Not ready for that, babe."

"All right, if you say so."

They began to chat and laugh shamelessly as they strolled to the elevator. Isabella was talking about the club she and Daniel went to last weekend when Megan's phone chimed in her pocket. She held a finger to excuse herself.

It was an unfamiliar number. "Megan Carmichael."

"Landon Sawyer from W Industries," the man started. "Mr. Simon sent me to drive you but I'm a bit lost. Would it be all right to text me the direction? I stopped at the park in front of a thrift shop."