Chapter Twenty Eight

Megan

♪ ♪ 'To give me all your love is all I ever ask
'Cause what you don't understand is
I'd catch a grenade for yaa' ♪ ♪

"Ah. Voices like that remind me of my wife. Never thought my son will find someone just the same."

A deep male voice ceased all her movement. It was rough and low, as if he had been inhaling tobacco for years. Megan knew who he was the moment he uttered his very first word. Wade's father.

She slowly turned around, her smile unsure, cheeks red, as she took in the man who almost had the same facial features as her husband.

Benjamin Simon looked frail and small, yet his presence was as imposing as the younger Simon. His hand quivered as he tried to stay upright with his walking stick. His salt and pepper hair was in disarray as if he ran his fingers through it many times. Yet his suit lacked any wrinkles, which was such a contrast to his glaring face.

A huge man stood behind him, the man's face a cold mask as he took in his surroundings. A bodyguard?

"I see you have transformed my son's house into a more welcoming one. How wifely of you." He smirked. And oh was it so familiar. "How have you been, Megan?"

Megan cleared her throat and forced her feet to move. "Very well, Sir." She shook his hand. "Please take a seat. What would you like to drink? Tea or wine?"

"Water is fine."

Megan returned with a glass of water in hand and took a seat opposite him. "Sim—Wade isn't here. He has some business stuff to do in Chicago."

Benjamin waved his hand, "I know. I came for you."

Her eyes widened. "Why, Sir?"

"Ben is fine." Oh, Jesus. "Anyway, you sound like visiting my daughter-in-law is such a bad idea. I just wanted to see how my son is treating you."

There was an underlying hint in his voice, as if he wanted Megan to reveal something he already knew. What it was, she had no guess. "Your son has been wonderful, Ben."

"Glad to hear. Indulge me. How did you meet my son?" She must have not answered too long because Ben rushed to add on, "Well, forgive me for being curious, dear. The marriage was so sudden you knocked us all on our feet. No wonder why the media's interest on the both of you hasn't ceased yet."

"Uh... Uhm..." Megan stuttered, struggling to remember the story she and Wade came up with. "W-Wade said he'd want t-to be the one to tell you. I don't want to jeopardize that, Ben."

There's that smirk again. As if he knew something she didn't. His eyes were telling the same thing—so certain and gently patronizing. "Hmm. All right. I'd ask my son about it." His entire demeanor warmed. "Relax, dear. I'm here to form a relationship with you. Be yourself."

Megan took a deep breath. "Just surprised I'm finally meeting you, is all."

"It's not going to be a surprise visit if I told you beforehand, is it now?" Grunts. "I watched the interview."

Her spine stiffened. The interview with Linda was great but embarrassing all the way. She hadn't admitted it to Wade but most of the questions asked, she had no concrete answer to. Mainly because she was taken by surprise, for it wasn't in the list of topics she agreed to talk about and they were all about things Wade failed to mention to her. Like Reed.

Should I ask about it? Would Ben mind? Or rather, would Wade mind?

Of course! You told him you'd wait for him.