Chapter 4

Dinner seemed to stretch out for ages, and without a word being said, I knew that Thomas ad I were not to move until the Senator gave us the okay. But eventually, he did, and we fled the room, not wanting to remain under that intense gaze any longer than necessary. I glanced at the beautifully carved grandfather clock in the foyer as we hurried past it, and with a shock, realized that I'd been here for nearly five hours!

Thomas lead me back to his sisters room, and politely turned away as I changed back into my street clothes. As I returned the dress, shoes, and pins back to their original positions, I glanced around with pride. No one would even know I'd been here, if Thomas wasn't standing there. We strolled back to his room, and I plopped down on he edge of his bed. "It's probably time for me to go," I said, softly. "My, er, parents will be getting worried." For the first time that evening, my lie hadn't come out smoothly, talking about parents was my one fault, because it always left me wondering about my own. But Thomas didn't notice that, he simply looked disappointed.

"Um, do you, I mean, er," Thomas stumbled across his words, in an utterly adorable way. "Do you like, have a phone or something?" He finally finished, and I smiled. "Yeah, I do. You should totally text me!" We exchanged numbers, and then we began to walk toward the front door. He opened the door, going much farther than I had expected. He walked me clear to the gate, before he stopped. "You're an awesome girl, Thea," he whispered, pushing his hands down into his pocket. "I hope I'll be seeing a lot more of you." He leaned down and kissed my forehead, before pulling away and saying a little bit more loudly, "Get home safely. Text me when you get there, cuz I'll be worrying." I smiled, and without a word, slipped out the gate, into the darkness.

What the hell was wrong with me? I shook my head. I had never felt like less of a spy in my life. I felt like a normal teenage girl. I felt vulnerable, and there was a new feeling in my chest that I didn't understand. It felt heavy, but light at the same time. It felt happy, but it felt longing. I didn't understand. What the hell was this? I hurried to the lab. My parents had been on my mind since the moment that I had lied about them to Thomas. I had to keep searching, no matter how long it took. Some day, some how, I would find something. Something that would lead me to them, if they were still alive, or something that would give me closure if they weren't. Maybe something that helped me understand  why they'd abandoned me. I'd been raised by different families who worked for the Agency, but no one knew anything about my background. Was it so wrong to wonder?

As usual, the lab was empty. It was dark, and the air felt damp. God, I loved it down there. It was a place of solitude, where I didn't have to lie, or cheat, or steal. It was a haven, peaceful and quiet. I walked to the very last computer, the one way in the back corner, where it seemed I'd almost set up my own little office. My possessions were scattered all over the desk. Pictures, knick-knacks, and a blanket tossed over the chair. It was inevitably my favorite part of the place, cozy and safe. I logged on to the computer, and hacked through the firewall of the IRS mainframe. Time and time again, well-wishers had suggested CIA and FBI mainframes, but those had never helped. It was time to try something new. After all, who didn't the IRS keep track of? 

I didn't have to look at my birth certificate to know my parents names. Though I'd never known them, I'd typed the names so often that it just came naturally. Suddenly, I remembered that I hadn't texted Thomas to tell him I was safe. Shit! I typed on my phone quickly, letting him know that I was "home" safely. I didn't wait for him to reply however, I had more important things on my mind at the time. My parents were always my number one priority, no matter what mission I was on, and everyone I worked with knew it. I searched every record that I could find, but it seemed that my parents had simply vanished off the grid somewhere around my second birthday. I didn't know whether they had left me on the Kingsley's doorstep before or after that. Maybe I should ask Kevin. He would be able to tell me. 

I logged off, without taking any notes, knowing that I wouldn't forget the little bit of information that I had just acquired. I slipped out of the lab, and made my way toward the townhouse where I had spent a majority of my childhood and teenage years, as it had been my favorite place to stay. Kevin and Ginny Kingsley had tried their hardest to make it wonderful, and they were as close to parents as I'd ever had. I loved them, and I always would. I climbed up the front steps, and rang the doorbell int he fashion that anyone from the Agency would. Twice quickly, one long. Three quickly, twice long, four quick. Then I stepped back to wait.

Almost immediately, Aunt Ginny opened the door, and a broad grin covered her face as she saw me standing there, and she enveloped me into a warm, tight hug. I couldn't help but grin back, and I squeezed her tight, as she called back into the house, "Kevin! Kevin, Thea's here!" She grabbed my hand and led me into the den, where Uncle Kevin was pulling himself off of the couch to greet me. "Well, there's my favorite girl!" His deep, rough voice was soothing. "Where've you been, Princess? You never come by anymore!" I looked at the floor. "I know, it's been a while. I've been so busy with assignments. I'll make sure to make time to stop by more often!" And with that I launched myself into his arms.

Aunt Ginny brought in a tray with all the settings for the three of us to have tea, though tea time was long since past. Sometimes the effects of her English up-bringing were just plain adorable. As we all relaxed with our tea, Uncle Kevin looked me in the eyes. "Alright, what's up? I know you came here for something specific. I can see it, you seem uneasy." I knew I couldn't lie to him, so I just blurted out, "Do you remember the exact date that my parents left me on your doorstep?" He looked uneasy for a moment before he answered. When he spoke, however, he looked as calm as he had been originally. "You're still looking for them, then?" I nodded. "It was in September. About two moths after you turned two." I nodded again.

Uncle Kevin wasn't done, though. "Thea, please be careful looking for them. I'm terrified that you're going to find what you're looking for, and that it's not going to be what you want it to be." He sighed. "I love you, Thea, Ginny and I both do. We just want the best for you. You're the closest thing we have to a daughter." He sighed again, but it was clear that was the end of his speech. I moved over to the couch, set my tea cup down on the tray, and put my arms around him.  "I love you, too," I whispered.  All thoughts of my mission were lost as I sat with the closest thing I had to family, talking until late in the evening.