Chapter 26

Waking up this morning Naruto followed his nose down into the kitchen to where Kurama is standing over the stove. Naruto yawns a muffled good morning as he shuffles over to the red haired werewolf and peeks at what he's making. Eggs, bacon, and toast. Kurama smiles as the blond yawns again.

"Morning." Kurama chuckles at his tired smile. "Hungry?"

"Mhmm." The blond hums taking a seat at the dining room table as Kurama serves them both some food and joins him. He thanks him for the food and they eat in a comfortable silence. When they finish they put their plates in the sink and Naruto stretches as he asks Kurama, "Where's Jiraiya?"

Kurama turns his eyes to him. "He left early this morning. Said something about meeting with an agent."

Naruto nods looking to the clock on the wall and his eyes widen. It's nearly noon. Why didn't Kurama wake him up sooner? He thins his lips glancing to Kurama. He should go visit Shikamaru in the hospital. He hasn't woken up yet, but it's only been three days. He's gone to visit him every day though, sometimes with Sakura and Sai, sometimes alone. "Kurama," He turns to him. "want to go visit Shikamaru with me?"

His eyes widen at first but it soon fades to a smile. "Of course."

"We'll have to walk there though, Jiraiya is out and I'm not calling any of the Uchiha."

It's been three days since they fought and neither showed signs of giving in, but Kurama knows it's hurting Naruto. And thinking of his feelings he doesn't want to bring it up right now so he just smiles. "You know how much I love walking."

Naruto smiles putting on his shoes and opening the door for Kurama. "Having you in human form is fun, you should have done this a long time ago." Saying that makes Naruto start thinking. He closes the door behind him and they are on their way to the hospital. The blond glances to Kurama out of the corner of his eye realizing he's never bothered asking him about his life before they met, and for some reason that thought is nagging at him. "Hey Kurama,"

"Hmm?"

"What was your life before my family like?"

His eyes widen, clearly not expecting the question. "Well," He thins his lips, a small frown in place. "I wish I could tell you." He pauses for a moment before he continues. "Or what I mean is I wish I had memory of it."

Naruto's eyes go wide. "You mean ... you don't remember what you life was like before you met us?"

Kurama turns his head to him with a faint smile. "Afraid not." He turns back forward scratching his neck. "The only thing I remember is being in a council called Sacred United Nation, SUN for short."

Naruto opens his mouth but cuts himself off rubbing his neck. Kurama was in some kind of council before he moved in with them? He glances to him, staring at his profile. "Do you know what they do?"

"I think..." Kurama tries to dig as far back into his memory as he can. "Maybe they..." He glowers, brows scrunched shaking his head. "I'm sorry, I can't remember exactly." He only knows what he himself was told to do. To protect them and not reveal his true nature, but he doesn't want to tell Naruto about that. He doesn't want to tell him that if they find out he's blown his cover that they'll come to kill him. Naruto doesn't need to worry about something like that at a time like this.

Naruto shakes his head. "It's okay, I don't want you to push yourself to remember something you can't." He purses his lips. "Do you think..." He bites his lower lip and worries it between his teeth. "Maybe they took your memory?" He glances to him. "This council of yours?"